General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley for USAF officer

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 PM
bigoil7
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley for USAF officer

My son did four years as a crew chief on C-130s, most of the time stationed at Yokota AB, Japan. Base rules said a newbie could only go up to 400cc, so he rode a Kaw Ninja over there. I've been there several times and it would be an awesome place to ride. Anyhow, he got out and went back to school on the G.I. bill down at AZ state in Tempe. He's a straight A student in the Computer Science program (takes after his old man) and will be commissioned almost exactly a year from now as an officer. As a matter of fact, he was just selected as Vice Wing commander of his ROTC detachment and will go through the changing of the guard tomorrow to take that position. So, if you're reading between the lines, you're sensing a eff'n lot of pride. Anyhow, down there, he's sport'n a Yamaha RC6 (600 cc I think).

So, to make a long story even longer, I have a question and am fish'n for feedback. As a graduation present, I want to buy him his first Harley and leave his oriental past behind. I had a 2011 Fatboy Lo, and he drove it quite a bit on leave and trips back from school. I now have a bagger and it seemed to intimidate him a little (didn't beg to drive it) on his most recent visit. He's 25 now, nearly engaged to a beautiful girl (will be commissioned at the same time he is) and he is a good rider. What bike would you all recommend? I'm tempted to go straight to something with Glide in the name(cuz we all know that's the inevitable ) but, is he still too young that that's not cool? I want to take long trips with him, so perhaps a bagger is the right but that might be selfish. Anyhow, looking for opinions. Doubt I'll find any here </sarc>

Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Breakout.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Orange1200SS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your sons service. Sounds like hes got a great future ahead of him. Are you trying to suprise him and pull up with the bike? If not take him to the dealership and have him pick one out. If your looking for something for longer rides consider the dyna switchback. Not a big full dresser but comes with the quick detach hard bags. Best of luck picking the right present out for one deserving guy!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Can you take him to a dealership on the pretense of getting something for your bike and then tell him to pick a motorcycle for himself? Please have somebody video it.

You're a great dad, thank your son for his service.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,833 Likes on 17,453 Posts

I'd do a little quite fishing in casual conversation and find out what he leans to in style & size for all you know the new 750's may trip his trigger since they are closer to his roots so to speak .

Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Skully
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe he isn't ready for a Harley yet. I rode my Dad's bike when I was home on leave and still kept with sport bikes for quite a few years. If he had bought me a Harley at the time it would have been traded in on the latest CBR post haste.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 PM
bigoil7
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Skully
Maybe he isn't ready for a Harley yet. I rode my Dad's bike when I was home on leave and still kept with sport bikes for quite a few years. If he had bought me a Harley at the time it would have been traded in on the latest CBR post haste.
Oh no, he definitely wants a Harley. See the attached pic, I rented him a sporty when I was down there about a week before AZ bike week back in 2012. Went up to Cave Creek and hit Hideaway Grill, Bartlett Lake (Lake Bartlett?), Fountain Hills, and all that. No more riceburners for him

Edit: This pic is funny because I am from South Dakota and it was about 72 degrees that day, and my son was freezing his azz being acclimated to the AZ weather, but I was sleeveless and loving it in April.
I happened to be playing with a couple GoPro cameras, if you want to see video see below. A little boring but the music is good.

Attached Thumbnails Harley for USAF officer-img_5773.jpg  

Last edited by bigoil7; 04-30-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big a guy is he? If he's planning on touring with you let me be the first to suggest road king.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 PM
bigoil7
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kingomtn
How big a guy is he? If he's planning on touring with you let me be the first to suggest road king.
Huge. 5' 10" 160 lbs.

Last edited by bigoil7; 04-30-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a big guy (6'/230) and I love my sporty. Might interest him since he seems to be into sport bikes.

Quick Reply: Harley for USAF officer