General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Bob Honeymoon Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Fifthstone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2014 Street Bob Honeymoon Review

I've ridden a Yamaha V Star 1100 (bought new) for 11 years. Traded it in this year and picked up a 2014 Street Bob, my first ever Harley. It's been a dream of mine to own a Harley since I was in high school (a long time ago). I've only got under 400 miles so far, but here's a brief review.

Style
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me this is the quintessential Harley style. Stripped down and lean. My bike is in Vivid Black. The lines flow from the mini apes down to the tank, smoothly to the seat and then that clean rear fender. What can I say. I love the way this bike looks. Lean and mean.

Quality
The feel of the controls are fantastic. Very firm and solid. Compared to my V Star, everything just feels more "there", if you know what I mean. No play in the clutch or brake levers, which I really like. Switch gear feels very high quality. The paint and rest of the finish is unreal. The tank-mounted ignition switch feels a bit flimsy though (I did not get the security package) and not as solid as the rest of the bike, but is probably okay. I will be gentle with it. I've not found any other nits to obsess over yet, but I probably will.

I did pick up a locking fuel cap and was surprised that it appears to be chrome plated plastic. The Yamaha came with a locking fuel cap standard and it was solid metal and nicely chromed. Not a big deal, but something I noticed.

On the Road
Great power from the 103, definitely a step or two up from my previous bike. Torque is outstanding and there is plenty of grunt on the highway, even in 6th, to do whatever I want. The transmission shifts very solidly, with only the occasional clunk going into first. I have rarely had problems finding neutral. Brakes do not give lots of feedback (my Yamaha was better in this regard) and does not have massive stopping power, but they are good enough.

The ride is a bit stiff (I am 210), but I've not adjusted anything on the bike yet. Not so bad that I fear the occasional bump. Forks feel good.

The riding position with the mini apes is very comfortable. However, my maximum long term comfortable highway cruising speed is about 70 on this bike. I was getting blown around a lot above that speed. Before this bike, I was used to cruising easily at 75 to 80 without feeling like I was holding on tight. I will probably get used to this, as I am still in an adjustment period.

The mid mounted foot controls are great for most riding. I feel it gives me great control of the bike for cornering and just about anything else. My inseams are only 32", but I do start to feel a bit cramped after a while. I did pick up highway pegs and will be putting them soon. They should help for extended rides. But for now, not a big deal.

I've read much about the dreaded Dyna vibration. To be honest it hasn't really bothered me. The bike does shake, but I expect that from a Harley. What I've noticed most is that there appears to be lots of vibration on deceleration, but not so much on acceleration or cruising.

Verdict
Yes, I am very happy. It's my Harley. It is what I've always imagined a Harley should be. Honeymoon on.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Bruces06
Advanced

Congrats on the new bike. Good little review, after a few thousand miles youll love it even more.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Sekhemempet
Advanced

Welcome to the Street Bob community!! I've had mine for 5 years now and I still love it!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:46 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Congrats on the new bike! Where's the pics?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Fifthstone
Advanced

Here it is!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:01 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Thanks for the review.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 PM
onecoolpilot
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Ccongrats on your first Harley. As Bruces06 said, you're only going to love it more as the miles fly by.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 PM
JMummery
Road Captain

nice choice on getting a street bob, you will love it overtime your on it. I know i sure do

Old 05-04-2014, 12:56 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fifthstone

Here it is!
Sweet bike. I know you will like it. In fact I'm certain.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:16 PM
wuaname
Road Captain

Congrats..looks nice

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Bob Honeymoon Review