General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member looking for first harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:05 PM
dlm3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New member looking for first harley

Hello everyone im new here. Im 26 from midmichigan and im looking to purches my first Harley. I would really like a bagger but my buget is very tight. I only have about $6000 to spend so my question Is should I go with a older bager or just settle for a nice sportster? Iv done my research and for what I have to spend im looking at late 90's baggers. The age worries me so any input would bevery helpful.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Old Bagger, and that's coming from a guy who would never buy one.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check craig list search engine like Tempest. There are many good low mileage Harleys out there and with $6000 cash in hand you could find some real nice bikes. Ask for maintence records and check out how the seller lives. If all his stuff is nice, it's a safe bet the bike has been maintained in top condition as well. If the dude looks like a reject Deliverance, and lives in junk yard....pass him by. Good Luck.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:58 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Demo, Demo, Demo - there is quite a difference in your two suggested rides - then research going prices based on year, mileage & mods that is in your price range - then start your search.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:22 AM
dlm3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I want a bagger but im hesitant on buyng something 15+ years old. Iv been screwed a few times buying used and dont want to be again. I'll just keep looking and see what I can come up with .

Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,340 Likes on 3,276 Posts

You could pick up a nice older dyna and add a nice windshield and hard bags on a budget...I just sold a 2002 dyna for $6500 and it was solid with 23000 miles. I would rather have this than a sportster...the flip side is, a Sportster is very solid and dependable....them sporty share near bulletproof and if you are not that big you can easily set it up to tour with.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I would always prefer newer to older in cases like this so I think it would be better if you pick up a newer dyna or sportster than a older bagger

Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=dlm3;12677790 I only have about $6000 to spend so my question Is should I go with a older bager or just settle for a nice sportster? Iv done my research and for what I have to spend im looking at late 90's baggers. The age worries me so any input would bevery helpful.[/quote]

Don't settle. if you want a bagger, get one. Personally, I'd buy an EVO with a carb before an 88 with MMFI. It's simpler and cheaper to repair. here's one. You'll have to add a one way ticket to come get it and ride it back though. It may be worth it to look at southern states....

Old 05-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motorcycles are very often bought as recreational vehicles (meaning they can spend a lot of time just sitting in a garage), so model year isn't as good an indicator of wear and tear like it normally is with automobiles that are almost always driven daily. It's certainly possible that a '98 bagger could be in much better shape than an '08 Sportster.

It's going to boil down to how hard these bikes were ridden, how well they were maintained/stored, how many miles were piled on, how many mods were piled on, whether those mods are just simple accessories or performance related, whether they were installed by the owner or a pro, etc.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbike_Mike
Motorcycles are very often bought as recreational vehicles (meaning they can spend a lot of time just sitting in a garage), so model year isn't as good an indicator of wear and tear like it normally is with automobiles that are almost always driven daily. It's certainly possible that a '98 bagger could be in much better shape than an '08 Sportster.

It's going to boil down to how hard these bikes were ridden, how well they were maintained/stored, how many miles were piled on, how many mods were piled on, whether those mods are just simple accessories or performance related, whether they were installed by the owner or a pro, etc.
I agree. My '03, that I bought in '11 with 2k on it still looks and runs great. I put 24k on it but maintain it. I have seen same exact model and year that looks like crap. Sometimes a 20 year old bike looks better than a 2 year old bike.

I met an 86 year old. Guy that still rides his '93 bagger. So there are older guys who eventually have to call it quits, and you might get a deal. But yeah, you might buy a money pit. I would look for low mileage '02-06 Superglide that already has bags, windshield and hopefully highway pegs.

Check maintenance records. If the bike has over 30k, see if it has the cam tensioner upgrade.
Good luck, take your time, trust your gut.

Quick Reply: New member looking for first harley