General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gold color on new exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 AM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Gold color on new exhaust?

I recently had new slip on mufflers put on the bike and now a few weeks later the slip ons have a gold hue right where the muffler slides on to the pipe? I'm sure it is obviously heat related. Any ideas as to why? This is just on one of the mufflers, the other one has not changed colors.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 AM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's running to lean and getting to hot. The one muffler that turned gold probably has the shortest head pipe and closest to the cylinder so it's hotter than the other. I'm guessing its the right side.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Or...could be a leak somewhere in the joint/connection...can you snap/post a pic?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:54 AM
doug62
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SG_Jim
It's running to lean and getting to hot. The one muffler that turned gold probably has the shortest head pipe and closest to the cylinder so it's hotter than the other. I'm guessing its the right side.
Oddly enough, I just had a Thundermax ECM put on the bike at the same time I did the exhaust. I thought the TM was supposed to regulate the fuel/air mixture properly? And you are correct, it is the right side.

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Or...could be a leak somewhere in the joint/connection...can you snap/post a pic?
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it is just a matter of tightening the exhaust clamp? I can certainly tighten the clamp but I am concerned about over tightening. I don't want to damage the pipe or muffler. I'll try to post a pic. later today. Either way, I will have the shop that installed the exhaust have a look at it.

Anybody else have this issue with their pipes or muffler?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-18-2018 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a combination of the excess heat caused by the catalytic converter in the merge collector of the head pipes (right in front of the discoloration) and the quality of the slip-ons. Gut the headers or get a different set.

Last edited by NoCoLoco; 05-05-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 AM
doug62
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
It's a combination of the excess heat caused by the catalytic converter in the merge collector of the head pipes (right in front of the discoloration) and the quality of the slip-ons. Gut the headers or get a different set.
Maybe it's the mufflers as I also replaced the pipes as well and I believe the catalytic converter was plugged off. My concern was is the bike running too hot and causing possible damage to the valves or even the pistons.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

Did you torque the exhaust clamp to specs? Did you use a new clamp?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 AM
2570ws
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had Thunderheader slip on mufflers on my last 2 bikes., a 2008 and 2011 Ultras. the right side muffler on both bike dis colored in the same place. one bike had a Power. Commander and the other one the Screaming Eagle tuner. And both bikes were dyno tuned. I think with mine it must be the quality of the chrome on the slip ons. I like the way they sound but next time I buy slip ons I think I'll go with something else.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 AM
doug62
Road Captain

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
Did you torque the exhaust clamp to specs? Did you use a new clamp?
The exhaust was installed by a local indy and I am assuming he knew what he was doing as far as the correct torque specs on the muffler clamps. I would also assume he used new clamps.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Kazz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug62
The exhaust was installed by a local indy and I am assuming he knew what he was doing as far as the correct torque specs on the muffler clamps. I would also assume he used new clamps.
It doesn't hurt to double check the torque. In fact after the first few rides, with new exhaust, you should retorque the clamps.

I know with Crome straight pipes ( no heat shields) gold color means to lean and blue color means running on the rich side.

Quick Reply: Gold color on new exhaust?