General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Came up on a wreck today

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Came up on a wreck today

Washed my bike today and thought Id take a little stroll. Was coming down the highway and noticed a lot of traffic backed up. Seemed odd because this was not a section of the highway for that to happen. I ended up driving up a little farther to a parking lot where some people had pulled over to watch. Come to find out (yep you guessed it) a car pulled out in front of a motorcycle. I had talked to a buddy of mine a little earlier who I knew was heading out this way. I was able to find out it wasnt him but, unfortunately the guy that was involved didnt make it.. So needless to say after that I was kinda bummed and cut my ride short. We hear it all the time but stay safe and keep your head on a swivel... Prayers out to that guys family...

Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,955 Likes on 21,313 Posts

Guy I knew was killed last week in FL.
Gal pulled out in front of him.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:01 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Washed my bike today and thought Id take a little stroll. Was coming down the highway and noticed a lot of traffic backed up. Seemed odd because this was not a section of the highway for that to happen. I ended up driving up a little farther to a parking lot where some people had pulled over to watch. Come to find out (yep you guessed it) a car pulled out in front of a motorcycle. I had talked to a buddy of mine a little earlier who I knew was heading out this way. I was able to find out it wasnt him but, unfortunately the guy that was involved didnt make it.. So needless to say after that I was kinda bummed and cut my ride short. We hear it all the time but stay safe and keep your head on a swivel... Prayers out to that guys family...
Things like this always cross my mind when I'm approaching any interchange, especially when there are cages sitting and waiting while I have a green. You always reach that point of no return where you know your life is in someone else's hands. You've done all the checking and swiveling you can possibly do and that guy/gal could still pull out at the last second and nail you. Kind of unsettling but also kind of a rush.

Praying for comfort for the guys family.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is one thing that bums me out about riding is picking up the slack of other people. My whole life I've been a pretty aware kinda guy. When I went through L.E school it perfected it. I always find myself looking around and remembering stupid ****. Whenever I come up on a intersection my hand and foot cover the brakes and I watch the left turn lane ahead of me. Peoe need to get their heads out of their asses and pay attention. No amount of hurry, no amout of late consequences is worth an accident. I honestly think if someone causes an accident with a motorcycle the consequences automatically double. Fines double, points double. Same goes for the idiots on motorcycles that recklessness and show boating behavior cause accidents.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Sad to hear the news.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Sad news for sure.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:36 AM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My prayers go out to his family! Saturday I rode with some friends up Mt. Lemon (Tucson, AZ) area. We got stuck up on the Mountain for 2-3 hours because of a head on collision with a Honda and Nissan 350z. Honda crossed the center line on a curve. Heard the Honda driver was air lifted with life threatening issues. 350z driver had to be cut out. Hopefully everyone made it. It didn't make the news in the Phoenix area, so not sure if the Honda driver survived. Sad all the way around!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:39 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

I always move around in front of a lefter or a side streeter in hopes they see me, all the time trying to make eye contact. Regardless, I always have an escape route planned if they don't. Been lucky so far after 41 years on the street but have no doubt that day is coming. Hope it's quick! Godspeed to those he left behind.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:00 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

As hard as it is to believe, even us big guy on baggers can get in a driver's blind spot.
Last weekend, I was driving my wife's car and we were sitting at a T intersection waiting to make a left turn when traffic cleared and just as I took my foot off of the brake pedal, I saw a guy on a SG suddenly appear out of nowhere!!!
Obviously, as I first looked in his direction, he was in my line of sight, right behind the "A" pillar (the post between the windshield and the door glass) on the right side of our car.
I stepped back on the brake so fast that he didn't even notice but that was way too close for me.

We can't count on other drivers seeing us all of the time and we have a lot more to lose than they do.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:57 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
As hard as it is to believe, even us big guy on baggers can get in a driver's blind spot.
Last weekend, I was driving my wife's car and we were sitting at a T intersection waiting to make a left turn when traffic cleared and just as I took my foot off of the brake pedal, I saw a guy on a SG suddenly appear out of nowhere!!!
Obviously, as I first looked in his direction, he was in my line of sight, right behind the "A" pillar (the post between the windshield and the door glass) on the right side of our car.
I stepped back on the brake so fast that he didn't even notice but that was way too close for me.

We can't count on other drivers seeing us all of the time and we have a lot more to lose than they do.
Sad news. My thoughts and prayers to that guy and his family.

Good point and something that I had not even thought about until now, but when we stop at intersections we should make sure that we are not stopping in other vehicles blind spots. Don't stop by the "A" pillar or "C"post/1/4 panel. Make sure that you can see the driver and he can see you.

Quick Reply: Came up on a wreck today