General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1542 miles - a newbie's take.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 PM
7even
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1542 miles - a newbie's take.

Let me go ahead and say it now; I love it. From all of my experiences over the last 30 years, from the Honda CX-500, the Kawasaki KZ-900, Honda Shadow 750, Yamaha V-Star, Goldwing GL1500, Goldwing GL1800, VTX 1800C (with a Cobra FI2000 Pro Tuner) - ALL of them pale in comparison to this machine that I am riding now. I have heard people bash Harleys for the antiquated technology, repair issues, etc, etc and I do respect people's opinions. But I have to say, after 1500 plus miles (400 with my Stage 4), I have composed my own opinion and that is; this is the single most beautiful machine that I have ever ridden. Bar none.

I know that every rider has their own criteria for why they ride what they ride and I respect that. But in every mile, every gear shift, every sound from the pipes and every curve experienced on this machine, I find something deep inside reminds me why, as a child, nothing turned my head and soul the way a Harley did. Now I know.

So, from a newbie, I am proud, yes PROUD to be a member of HOG. I am amazed and awed that I allowed the opinions of others to have for so long swayed me away from the majesty and honor that is a Harley.

To each their own but for me, there is nothing beyond, past or above the Harley.

Now, NOW, I know.

From Murph, "7even" a very happy, "newbie".

Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Congratulations! Btw... sorry to hear about the hog..

Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM
7even
Advanced

Originally Posted by ynots
Congratulations! Btw... sorry to hear about the hog..
Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm lucky. I bought my first bike in '77 at the tender age of 22. Never looked back, other bikes were and are nice and all, they just never tripped my buttons. I feel today just as happy as you do (except the hog part) lol. Enjoy the bike

Last edited by Ironhand; 05-05-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:45 AM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight up. I've only ever owned japanese bikes mostly because of my dad (always sort of naysayed Harleys). I have a 750 shadow and my sporty and guess which one gets the most use. You can tell the level of engineering on the shadow is top notch, but there's something about the raw power of the Harley that I just cant get enough of...

Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

"...the majesty and honor that is a Harley"

The truth is, if you took any Harley and rebadged it and put a Honda or Yamaha decal on the tank and fender, I would bet that most people here would probably call it a pile of junk. When it comes down to it, most people would rather be seen on a Harley rather than a Honda. In the eyes of the public, I think it is the name that bestows the 'majesty and honor' on the bike. That and a lot of good marketing and HD-branded riding apparel. Take away the name and decals and a Harley just becomes any other bike on the market.

Also, I am not saying that the bikes themselves would not find an audience without the name. If you would rather own a vintage Camaro over the most recent incarnation, you would likely find yourself drawn to the bikes wihtout even knowing who manufactured them. But most people just find themselves drawn to the image that Harley holds in the public mind, IMO.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 05-05-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just like you, i seen the light later in life. Another bonus is, that it's from a American company.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Dharma66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 7even
ALL of them pale in comparison to this machine that I am riding now.
And what machine is that exactly?

I'd like to see pictures of the machine that inspired so much passion!

Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amen Brother.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM
goo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, jap crap sucks. especially the ones that look like Harleys. some look more like Harleys than Harleys...

a jap crap Harley wannabe is kinda of like a removable tattoo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1542 miles - a newbie's take.