General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the MOCO drop paint standards on the '14s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Did the MOCO drop paint standards on the '14s?

I was cleaning the bike today, first time since getting it yesterday, and in the right light noticed a LOT of orange peel on the bike. Tank, bags, and front fender especially. What the hell? My 2011 had minor orange peel on the front fender, but none on the tank. It was like glass. Beautiful. It is very noticeable on the 2014 bike. And absolutely terrible on the front fender. Looks like they formed the fender with a ball peen hammer and never smoothed it out before painting it.

Anyone else with a 2014 that has noticed a lot more orange peel than on a previous bike they've had??

I know there is nothing I can do about it, should have noticed it and said something when I took delivery, but I thought paint was one area they were proud of. They shouldn't be proud of this. Guess I'll ride it like it is for a few years then have it custom painted to fix the issue.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Didn't you just post yesterday (or Friday) that you just bought the bike while your wife was out of town?
That sux, surprised you didn't notice it in the showroom as they normally have some pretty good lighting.
Typical HD product, nice but there are always going to be things you find that need to be changed.
I know it's going to bug you, but ride it for a few years and then throw a custom paint job on it.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JMC22
Didn't you just post yesterday (or Friday) that you just bought the bike while your wife was out of town?
That sux, surprised you didn't notice it in the showroom as they normally have some pretty good lighting.
Typical HD product, nice but there are always going to be things you find that need to be changed.
I know it's going to bug you, but ride it for a few years and then throw a custom paint job on it.

Yeah, that was me. It wasn't on the showroom floor. They had it in the back as they only put a few examples of each bike/color, on the floor. So I never saw the bike until we did the delivery outside in front of the dealership. I looked it over, but apparently never caught the light just right or at the correct angle in the bright unlight. In my garage, with the only light coming from outside thru the open garage door, you can stand at a 90 degree angle to it and see it, but you have to be down at it's level to see it. While standing, it's not that noticeable.

Kharma may be biting me in the butt right now.

Anyone else notice a difference on their '14 bike?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 PM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I was cleaning the bike today, first time since getting it yesterday, and in the right light noticed a LOT of orange peel on the bike. Tank, bags, and front fender especially. What the hell? My 2011 had minor orange peel on the front fender, but none on the tank. It was like glass. Beautiful. It is very noticeable on the 2014 bike. And absolutely terrible on the front fender. Looks like they formed the fender with a ball peen hammer and never smoothed it out before painting it.

Anyone else with a 2014 that has noticed a lot more orange peel than on a previous bike they've had??

I know there is nothing I can do about it, should have noticed it and said something when I took delivery, but I thought paint was one area they were proud of. They shouldn't be proud of this. Guess I'll ride it like it is for a few years then have it custom painted to fix the issue.
File a warranty claim thats a paint defect they should take care of it . or you cold get some 2000 grit wet sand sand paper wet sand it and the polish it out

Old 05-04-2014, 10:57 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kevin S Butler
File a warranty claim thats a paint defect they should take care of it . or you cold get some 2000 grit wet sand sand paper wet sand it and the polish it out
I'll call the dealership when they open on Tuesday. But I don't really think the MOCO will cover it. "They all do that".

That's the main reason for the thread. To see if it's a common issue with other 2014 models.

No way I'd try to fix it. It would be down to bare metal if I did it. Of course, then it would be ready for primer and paint.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 05-04-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:36 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Looked at my low rider (black) can't find any problems with it. Hope that helps!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:06 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks, it does.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

If you just bought it, why wouldn't it be under warranty? It isn't like you scratched it.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Can't help you with a review of the paint on the 2014s (I haven't really looked at them)

But when I worked at a Ford Assembly plant paint shop Orange peel was something that should never have gotten through QC, but sometimes it would. It is a warranty item and either the panel should be replaced or repaired.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Did not find any orange peel on my 14.

Quick Reply: Did the MOCO drop paint standards on the '14s?