General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love heel toe shifting, why so many haters? Big feet?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Talking Love heel toe shifting, why so many haters? Big feet?

Heel toe shifting in action, I made this video to show my 13yo son how I shift on motorcycles. Tell me why you hate it, heel toe shifting is a awesome!

Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't hate it. but I don't like it. As I am new to harleys I feel its redundant and not required. I have always used a toe shift only. I also have a tendency of hitting it when moving my foot around for comfort.

I've just removed it and put a space lug onto it.

And I have a bit a fear for it as well. When I have the bike over scraping the plates the side of my foot scrapes some times. When i was younger the rubber on my foot gripped the rode and sent my foot backwards. with this it wouldn't send it backwards it would just bend trap it and bend it.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:37 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Take The Time - Set Them Up

I think that most likely a lot of the bikers who don't like the heel / toe shifter don't take the time or bother to adjust and set them up to fit their feet, boots and riding style. All the talk about having a hard time getting into neutral and how unnatural the set up feels is a shame. I was surprised that the dealer (at least mine) didn't take the time to bring a wrench out to the brand new bike when I bought it and adjust EVERYTHING to fit me.

You would think that they would adjust the bars and levers (all of them) to fit the new owner.

I ended up installing the extended shift levers and after 2 or 3 tries got the levers to the heights I was most comfortable with. Finding neutral is almost to EZ now!

Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Never had it but I don't think I'd get used to it, since toe shifting is all I've done. I might as well put the gas on my left hand.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:44 PM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like it takes more effort heel shifting, especially how u looked like u we're stomping on them the beggining of the video . Personally it's not for me but each to their own right.. Maybe if I had a bagger and some floor boards but not on my dyna

Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went riding with a lady that has it on her Fat Boy, she loves it. She loaned it to a friend and I was watching him lifting his feet up and having to stomp on it to shift. He was cussing before we got to where we needed to get. Never had one and seem to be doing just fine.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I love it. I've done it so long too, I just couldn't go back without my heel shifter.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

I just do not need both. Never had a problem with the toe shifter and I prefer it. I often wonder how long the shift arm is going to last when some one heel shifts so hard.
With the toe shifter I never have to move my foot unless I am using the highway pegs. Its second nature to me

Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 PM
29of1050
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All what you get used to...

I think it's just what you get used to. Never had a heel shifter and the one time I tried it I hated it. I guess if I was forced to get used to it, I'd probably hate it if someone took it away.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Octain
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the point? You have to move your entire leg to upshift instead of just your toe. Don't hate it, hate is a strong word.
Im my opinion folks like more movement to drawl more attention to themselves. More attention to look "cool".

I removed the boards and heal shifter on my Fatboy a long time ago. BUt not because of the heal shifter, because I like turning. The boards had to go and it just seemed natural to lose the heal shifter with em.

Never seen a heal shifter without boards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love heel toe shifting, why so many haters? Big feet?