General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 PM
krscpa
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close call

I'm sure someone has heard of this or had it happen to them , but not me.. Driving down a 2 lane rd, broad daylight...40 mph...was following 2 cars at very very safe distance...came up on 2 oncoming cages, both had stopped with turn signal on to turn left...he is waiting on the traffic in front of me...my awareness was pretty high coming up on a left turner....the car immediately ahead of me passed the turning cars, and was waiting for me...I guess the 2nd car didn't see me coming, got impatient and tried to dart in front of the car ahead trying to beat him across the road right as I was passing....I swerved and fortunately he saw me as he was half way through his turn and slammed on his brakes, or I would have probably been a hood ornament. I could see the whites of his eyes...scared him almost as much as me....just another thing to look out for

Old 05-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Bruces06
Advanced

Had close to the same thing happen 3 days ago. What we as bikers feel is a safe folowing distance alot of cage drivers consider that enough of a gap to scoot across our lane.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 PM
sporty63
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bruces06
Had close to the same thing happen 3 days ago. What we as bikers feel is a safe folowing distance alot of cage drivers consider that enough of a gap to scoot across our lane.
I am hyper aware of that exact circumstance. It happened to a guy I ride with. Lady got impatient and went around the guy in front of her to get across the highway....tagged my friend. Totaled his bike....banged him up pretty good too.

I have. Found this maneuver helpful to alert cages in this and other situations. As I'm approaching ...I will swirve quickly back and forth as too get their attention. So far so good. Knock knock....

Old 05-09-2014, 04:02 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krscpa
I'm sure someone has heard of this or had it happen to them , but not me.. Driving down a 2 lane rd, broad daylight...40 mph...was following 2 cars at very very safe distance...came up on 2 oncoming cages, both had stopped with turn signal on to turn left...he is waiting on the traffic in front of me...my awareness was pretty high coming up on a left turner....the car immediately ahead of me passed the turning cars, and was waiting for me...I guess the 2nd car didn't see me coming, got impatient and tried to dart in front of the car ahead trying to beat him across the road right as I was passing....I swerved and fortunately he saw me as he was half way through his turn and slammed on his brakes, or I would have probably been a hood ornament. I could see the whites of his eyes...scared him almost as much as me....just another thing to look out for
That's a weird one. The first car was obviously waiting for you and the 2nd car didn't know you were there. In this case you would have been better off following closer, but how would you know that? Hopefully the 2nd cager learned a lesson but probably not.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:22 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I was doing 45mph in the left lane with a good distance between me and the car in front, when the car in front missed their turn and decided just to stop. 45mph to stop. I slammed on the brakes, missed her by about 6 inches and then had to worry about the car behind me. Fortunately he was paying attention or I would have been sandwiched.

The old lady and her 3 companions got some choice words and yelling as I rode around to her window. A few other drivers were nice enough to stop and ask if I was ok, I went to a Walgreens and sat on a bench for 20 minutes and smoked half a pack of cigs.

Leave a good distance and you risk being cut into, follow too close and you don't have an out. Can't win for trying but I'd rather keep space between me and the car in front.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep, same ****, different day. Clearly, it's a good thing that you were paying attention. In order to make it easier for me, I ride under the assumption the EVERYONE is trying to kill me.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:43 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Yep, same ****, different day. Clearly, it's a good thing that you were paying attention. In order to make it easier for me, I ride under the assumption the EVERYONE is trying to kill me.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:03 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I will hit my airhorn at a moments notice if I notice a cager driving crazy around my safety zone. Saved my behind more than once.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty63

I have. Found this maneuver helpful to alert cages in this and other situations. As I'm approaching ...I will swirve quickly back and forth as too get their attention. So far so good. Knock knock....

I've been doing the same thing for years... Also, I have amber lenses on my spot lights...everybody that sees them goes WTF is that.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have actually done that left turn, but make damn sure there is NO oncoming traffic nearby.

Originally Posted by sporty63
I have my modulating light for a similar reason. Not a cure, but every little bit helps.

Originally Posted by Rustell
I've been doing the same thing for years... Also, I have amber lenses on my spot lights...everybody that sees them goes WTF is that.
Similar thought process.

Quick Reply: Close call