General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Langliz leather vs Lost Worlds vs Vanson

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:38 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Langliz leather vs Lost Worlds vs Vanson

How do these three leathers compare to each other? Is Vanson even in the ballpark with these two? A big point for Vanson for me is they actually make leathers that people race in. To me that says alot about the quality of their leather. I've heard Langlitz is the king of the mountain for leather with corresponding prices. Very little info on their site about their leather - what it is, what weight, or prices. So how much does a typical Langlitz cost? And then lost worlds. Alot of thumping of the chest and patting themself on the back going on there. 4 oz horsehide - sounds nice and I don't know of anyone offering 4 oz horsehide today. I ordered horsehide from Hillside once - and sent it back. It was crap. It was fashion weight leather. So how do these three leather makers compare? Notice these are American made leathers, not interested in across the pond.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

They are all good.

Ford V Chevy, ya know? Whatever you prefer is what's best for you.

Myself, I've been in Brooks leather for over 25 years, I still love them.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:25 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Langlitz outfit, jacket and pants. It's the best piece of motorcycle gear I've owned in 47 years of riding. I also have an old Vanson vented jacket. Very well done but custom made makes a big difference even when you "fit" in an off the gas pipe jacket.

Langlitz uses two different weights of cowhide, your choice, as well as a weathered version. They also sell a goatskin that's highly recommended. That's what I bought and it's worth the $50 extra. The price can be breathtaking but so is the price of a Harley and this gear will last longer and is built better than Harley can ever dream of. If you can afford it, buy it. Figure around a thousand or so for the jacket depending on how many extras you add on.

Warning: There are a number of people here that post how goatskin is not suitable for motor clothes. There is a big difference in the quality of Langlitz leather and fashion jackets from Pakistan. Anyone who says Langlitz goatskin is not up to the task of protecting you has no idea what he's talking about. Put him of your ignore the moron list.

Never tried Lost Worlds.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Hell Fire Hog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Langlitz is all custom leather made to your measurements, they dont have a rack with various sizes hanging. You can go into the store and find one of their garments that will fit you off the consignment rack though. Its not uncommon for the garments to outlast the customers, one way or another, so there is probably 100 men's jackets for sale there from $600 up which is about 1/2 price of new.

They do offer goat, horse, and cow hide and probably more than what Im aware of, in various thickness'. The best thing you can do to find out about all their products is to call them since the website is not that good. They can give you the rundown on all the leather, options and prices. The people are very friendly and dont have any problem helping you with any quetions you have, they treat you just like family.

I got lucky and found a jacket from the consignment rack that was bit to big, I wear a Carhartt 52L, that I had them resize for me and added a gun pocket on the right side. Its a Columbia and weighs about 12lb which is great for winter wear but I wont be wearing it to any southern states in the summer time.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

You won't go wrong with any of them. I don't own a Lost World's but have seen one and it was very nice. I do own a Langlitz and a couple of Vansons. I personally really like the Vanson competition weight leather, it is slightly heavier than my Langlitz. The workmanship on both brands is excellent. Talk to Dave or others at Langlitz and they will spend whatever time it takes to answer all your questions. I have not tried that with Vanson.

Almost any leather motorcycle jacket will last a lifetime so length of service is not really an issue. If money is an issue at all, I would go with a Vanson in competition weight leather. But like I said in the beginning you can't go wrong with any of the three. All are at the top of the heap of American made leathers.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No contest. Langlitz. I'm on my third in 47 years of riding. Not because they wore out. Buried my kid brother in the first one,after he was killed on the back of my Harley. Shredded the second one in a high speed wreck,could have salvaged it,but buried a riding partner in it instead. The one I have now is a Columbia,just a plain,classic motor jacket,around 1,300 bones to have one built. Langlitz leather is as fine as it gets,strictly top of the line hides,no BS when dealing with them. Dave is a stand up cat,and will make the gear exactly the way you want it. Had the opportunity to examine Schott,Vanson,et al,over the years,never saw enough to make me switch.

The following users liked this post:
oldbie (03-21-2017)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:32 AM
cropsure
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no personal experience with Vanson but have never heard anything but positive about them. With that said, I can't say enough good things about Langlitz. Some of the nicest people I've ever run across. I have both a goatskin and a lightweight cow skin and they really are like wearing a second skin. If you can afford the coin, it is well worth it. Top rate quality and American made.

Attached Thumbnails Langliz leather vs Lost Worlds vs Vanson-image.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 10:25 AM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned both Lost Worlds and Vanson and both where great quality jackets especially the horsehide from L.W.

The problem I have with almost any of the off the rack jackets are they never fit me and that can be a problem with stiff leather like these 2.

Plus the several I did try and wear sorta fit when I bought them but 15 years later, didn't so that's another problem for a very expensive jacket.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:00 PM
desertwolf
Road Master

Originally Posted by Twistnride
No contest. Langlitz. I'm on my third in 47 years of riding. Not because they wore out. Buried my kid brother in the first one,after he was killed on the back of my Harley. Shredded the second one in a high speed wreck,could have salvaged it,but buried a riding partner in it instead. The one I have now is a Columbia,just a plain,classic motor jacket,around 1,300 bones to have one built. Langlitz leather is as fine as it gets,strictly top of the line hides,no BS when dealing with them. Dave is a stand up cat,and will make the gear exactly the way you want it. Had the opportunity to examine Schott,Vanson,et al,over the years,never saw enough to make me switch.
That's a beautiful jacket.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:02 PM
desertwolf
Road Master

Originally Posted by norton
I've owned both Lost Worlds and Vanson and both where great quality jackets especially the horsehide from L.W.

The problem I have with almost any of the off the rack jackets are they never fit me and that can be a problem with stiff leather like these 2.

Plus the several I did try and wear sorta fit when I bought them but 15 years later, didn't so that's another problem for a very expensive jacket.
I'm in between sizes. Makes it hard getting a good fit.

Quick Reply: Langliz leather vs Lost Worlds vs Vanson