General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First poker run yesterday ended badly

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:27 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts
Default First poker run yesterday ended badly

My wife and I went on our first poker run yesterday. The route went from Apple Valley to Big Bear and back. Half way up the mountain we came up on an accident that just happened, bikes cars and people on the side of the road.

One of the riders went straight out of a curve hit the berm and endoed into a big bush with the bike on top of him. There were a couple of nurses in the group and another passing by that stopped and did cpr on him until the paramedics got there. He was bleeding badly from his head, mouth, and ears and his pulse kept dropping in and out.

We were quite a ways from help in either direction, took probably half an hour for them to get there. They couldn't save him.

After they gave up on him we turned back for home. My wife and another woman were holding the bush back off of him so they could get to him. She watched him go out and just didn't want to go on the ride anymore.

RIP JP, didn't know you but sorry you went that way.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I should be grateful. I went down Friday in the rain and tore up my knee and the worst part is my CVO got some pretty expensive damage. I am grateful i can post today.

Sorry your wife had to witness that.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:40 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

Glad people were there to try to save his life, and be with him at the end. Very sad story. It's another reminder that what we love to do is risky, and we need to be hyper-vigilant when we ride.

I hope your wife doesn't have longterm affects from this and will still want to ride. That had to be a traumatic experience for all involved.

Ride safe. Return home.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:44 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Very sorry to hear this.

Winding roads up to Big Bear sound a little bit much for a poker run route. Given that anyone can join and you never know how experienced they are in group riding, or riding in general.

Not blaming you of course, OP, just saying perhaps the organizers should have picked a less challenging route.

But I know nothing about the rider who fell. Perhaps he was experienced and just misjudged the curve.

RIP.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 AM
rockydog10
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also very sorry to hear that . I live in the area and it is a challenging and dangerous area .

Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Condolences to all involved. Hope it doesn't traumatize the wife and others too much.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:32 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

What a sad story and experience you and your wife had to witness - I am not familiar with the roads around Big Bear - but we do not know what caused the accident and if the roads were a factor or maybe some other event.
Motorcyclist helping others just strengthens the bond we have for one another - thank you for being there and lending assistance to a fellow cyclist

Old 05-11-2014, 11:36 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

Some stories of the man who was killed.
http://www.vvng.com/barstow-man-kill...ycle-accident/
http://www.vvdailypress.com/articles...-davidson.html
"Jonpaul was riding on a planned ride along with several other riders originating at Cadillac Ranch Bar in Apple Valley, through Big Bear and planned to end at the Moose Lounge in Lucerne Valley"...hmmm

Originally Posted by chuckw2
He was bleeding badly from his head, mouth, and ears and his pulse kept dropping in and out.
Was he wearing a helmet?

Last edited by upflying; 05-11-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:55 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry to hear that Chuck, sorry your wife had to experience that as well.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:00 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Sad to hear. The road to big bear is not that bad. I wonder if it was mechanical failure, medical condition or?
Very sad

Quick Reply: First poker run yesterday ended badly