General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I was going to die today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I was going to die today...

My first ride out today and after a brutal winter and then lots of rain this past week. This afternoon I was on U.S. 63 between the small towns of Earl and Springbrook south of Hayward heading north when a white Dodge pickup with Minnesota plates decides to come out and try to pass another vehicle that is coming at me. I realize there is no way the truck can complete the pass so I hit the binders slowing down getting ready to take the right shoulder when the rocket scientist in the truck sees me and realizes he can't make his pass with out forcing me off the road. I had my headlight and dual driving lights on at the time. The Idiot then drove off the road to my right and drives down the shoulder on the wrong side of the road but maintains his speed leaving the driving lane open for me. Lots of split second thoughts went through my head thinking about my options before realizing the Mud Duck was staying on the shoulder. Needless today I thought I was going to get hit head on. Ruined what had been a nice ride. Thought about chasing him down but opted not to.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:29 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call not to chase him. Good head's up on your part, driving WAAAAAAY in front of you. Now go buy a lotto ticket.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:34 PM
goo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** happens...**** will happen again

Old 05-11-2014, 05:45 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Glad you made it out of that alive.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:17 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,112 Likes on 11,090 Posts

Dodge pick-me-up driver prolly not expecting to see a motorcycle after your brutal weather. Rural highways are the most dangerous, lots of drunks use them avoid better patrolled big cities and freeways.
I would have had to clean my shorts after that.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Scary stuff. Had a guy pull out in front of yesterday because he couldn't see us behind the fire truck we were following. I knew he was there though and knew he would do that. When he saw us he waved an "I'm sorry".

At least your guy saw you and tried his best to avoid you. Wasn't your day to go obviously.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you were able to see it all ahead of you and make it out alive. I had several cages attempt to do stupid moves today that put a damper on a nice ride. Just hang in there and stay alert. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wife & I were on the bike today and stopped at a light behind several cars. Woman in a SUV next to us (in the #2 lane) was putting on her makeup when the light turned green. We all started through the intersection and she decided to change lanes in the intersection, without looking or using a signal. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy as she cut in front of us and I had to brake to avoid her. Followed her 1/2 block and she turned left across the lane to make it into a Starbucks. If the wife hadn't been with me, I'd have followed and given her some driving advice, but I let it go.

Watch out everyone, they're not paying attention yet.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:30 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

I will add that our little event was on the way home after the fatal we stopped to help with.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:32 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Wife & I were on the bike today and stopped at a light. Woman in a SUV next to us was putting on her makeup when the light turned green. We all started through the intersection and she decided to change lanes in the intersection, without looking or using a signal. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy as she cut in front of us and I had to brake to avoid her. Followed her 1/2 block and she turned left across the lane to make it into a Starbucks. If the wife hadn't been with me, I'd have followed and given her some driving advice, but I let it go.

Watch out everyone, they're not paying attention yet.
Are they ever lol?

Quick Reply: Thought I was going to die today...