General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New about to take my motorcycle class!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 PM
xwozone
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New about to take my motorcycle class!

Hey guys, im brand new wet behind the ears. Never sat on a motorcycle or anything.

I signed up for my HD class down at bigbarn in des moines, Iowa and got my helmet and gloves. So no turning back!

My question is, and im sure its been asked, what motorcycle should I start with, where should I look to buy one and how much should I expect to pay?

I don't know much about cars but I do know ill need something after I take my class to practice on or the class would be pointless.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-12-2014, 01:43 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

A big welcome to you from sunny Southern California. Glad to have you on board.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Bohacker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from the heart of dixie.

A tough question to answer. What type of riding are planning? That would probably narrow it down some. I'd hold off until you start riding in class. See how comfortable you are. Then I'd get the bike that fits your planned riding style the best. No need to start small, IMHO. If you do you will likely quickly upgrade anyway.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:49 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You'd probably have better luck if you went to the General Harley Chat section of this forum. Good luck

Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

You are going to get answers from start with a 250 to get an Ultra Limited if that's what you want. Ask you instructor after he see's you ride.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:58 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the class. I've always thought a person should start small and used as you will turn it over at some point while learning. Prior poster is correct you will be ready to move up quickly if you start too small. I personnally started on a 250 because I had it available. I had riden small dirt bikes previously. Rode it a few months and then moved up to a 900 metric bike. Rode it a couple of years and now on a large touring bike. Not sure I can recommend you start on a HD any larger than a sportster because of the weight. One of the new street's might be fine. Easiest to learn on are the smaller bikes but they are not really main highway sized. Something in the 500-800 cc would be better for main highway use. Just my opinion, others likely have other opinions.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:13 PM
xwozone
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bohacker
Welcome from the heart of dixie.

A tough question to answer. What type of riding are planning? That would probably narrow it down some. I'd hold off until you start riding in class. See how comfortable you are. Then I'd get the bike that fits your planned riding style the best. No need to start small, IMHO. If you do you will likely quickly upgrade anyway.

Most likely just around town and to work, i dont really go out of town and dont really take the interstate. Pleasure driving mainly.

Ill have to lurk on those fourms and see what eveyone is saying. Its hard to seach these forums being at work taking calls.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:19 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

and just remember that it can be a dangerous thing we do...not trying to scare of discourage you by any means just want you to come in with your eyes wide open. Don't know how big or confident you are so don't know what to recommend. My wife started on an 883 Sporty from dead green like you and did fine with the riding skills part, not so much with the traffic on the road part.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Check out the thread below and welcome to the HDForum

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...irst-bike.html

Old 05-12-2014, 02:29 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Welcome from the mile high state - congrats on being smart enough to take the class before getting a scoot - I remember when I was in the same boat as yourself - it really comes down to how comfortable you feel on the bike while and after you take your class - I would recommend finishing the class and then go out and demo a bunch of bikes - this will tell you what your feel comfortable on - sometimes its not only the size of the bike, but how it rides - I prefer the Dyna frames - it makes a big bike feel really comfortable and agile under me. The initial learning curve ramps up pretty quickly on feeling comfortable on the bike, then you keep learning the finer points the more you ride

Quick Reply: New about to take my motorcycle class!