General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man up!....ABS brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Man up!....ABS brakes

Ok so I was talking to my uncle the other day...he rides a fatboy....I am looking at purchasing a new bike this winter.....leaning towards a road king, haven't ruled out a softail or anything else really yet.....so I asked a question here the other day about what year they started putting abs on the softails.....

Anyway so it came up in conversation and I said I'd have to look for a much newer softail because I want abs brakes on whatever I choose.....he said " do u really need abs"... He literally told me to "man up"...he said you know riding is dangerous....what do u want a seatbelt next?....I really didn't know what to say to him....

I told him , I don't think in a true panic stop u have enough skill to stop as fast as with abs.....do some people, sure...one of the guys I ride with is probably one of them....he has also been a professional racer and has been around bikes for longer than I've been alive.....

Pretty much everyone I talk to thinks I'm stupid....I've pretty much vowed know to talk to anyone else about getting a bike....everyone makes fun of me because I ride a sportster and they say it's a small bike....I'm done with everyone....ok rant off....ryan

Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

The fact is that 99.99% of riders can't stop better then what ABS can do. The ABS prevents lock up during panic stops. Anyone here that isn't a professional racer that claims they can stop in a shorter distance with standard brakes than with ABS isn't telling the truth.

As for "manning up"? Until someone buys your bike for you, what do you care what they think? Get whatever you want on your bike.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got m wife's 2005 carb'ed sportster running again. It's got side shots. It's the best sounding harley I've ever heard. I think I will be borrowing it for a while.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
I just got m wife's 2005 carb'ed sportster running again. It's got side shots. It's the best sounding harley I've ever heard. I think I will be borrowing it for a while.
My Ironhead with drags sounds flippin' awesome. As good as many Shovelheads I've heard and almost as good (IMHO) as most Knuckleheads.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody, in their right mind anyway, is going to claim they can pump brake pedals quicker than the computer that runs the ABS. Last thing I read indicated they do it 17 times per second. Mine has them and they've been used, quite successfully I might add.

The following users liked this post:
haithum_awni (09-28-2017)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Ryan Ryan RYAN!!!.......Do what YOU are comfortable with. Make your own decisions....Ride your OWN ride.
You know what you want and what you will be most comfortable with....Go out and get it. You have to satisfy NO ONE but yourself.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Texas5858
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

These safety features make riding safer, we all know the dangers of riding so I welcome anything that increases my odds of living longer on the bike.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most interesting thing about ABS is that it doesn't work until you have already made a mistake.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I would have told him I wasn't asking for permission. I was simply telling him what I had already decided to do. That's how I man up. I don't listen to people's opinion when it comes to safety. I have ABS on all my bikes and will have it on all my future bikes and in Europe they past a law that all motorcycles must have ABS on them as standard equipment. Do your own research and you will find qualified scientific proof whether or not ABS will stop a motorcycle faster than a human being can.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuess
The most interesting thing about ABS is that it doesn't work until you have already made a mistake.
This is true....some things in life are not in my control though....I'm not tryin to start an abs war or ask people if I need it...I try and ride as safely and defensively as I can...I've learned a lot I think in the short time I've been riding and learn something every time I ride....

Anyway I wanted the abs for the just in case...holy crap...it hit the fan moment when push comes to shove and I might have to slam on both my brakes....hope I never need to though...ryan

Quick Reply: Man up!....ABS brakes