General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$500 fine for killing motorcyclist

Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 AM
fevest
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $500 fine for killing motorcyclist

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/feature...l#.U3IUzstOXIU

Unbelievable, would like to know what evidence they claim to have issue with. She was texting, admitted that, killed the guy. So what is the issue?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,672 Likes on 21,252 Posts

Out here it's been known to get a failure to yield the right of way ticket for killing a person on a motorcycle. At least this was the case in Hot Springs SD about an hour south of me in 2001/2002.
I was appalled same as you.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Killing bikers was never a crime in the U.S. and never will be. Hopefully the victim's family takes everything she has in a civil suit. I have zero tolerance for distracted driving.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-13-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

"An investigation revealed Roberts was traveling between 42 mph and 47 mph at the time of the crash. His motorcycle skidded more than 36 feet before hitting the Cobalt."

I wonder what his speed was before he started skidding. Based on published stopping distance for motorcycycles it takes about 34 feet to stop from a speed of 20 MPH (no bike specified). That would put him somewhere in the 60MPH vicinity. Not trying to make excuses but depending on the area this might have been way too fast. She was turning into a store so there was obviously there was entry and exit to this stretch of road. I don't like exceeding 40MPH when I am in an area where cars can be entering and exiting the road which was apparently several lanes wide.

This is NOT AN EXCUSE for texting and driving. I am just saying, as riders we have to be aware of these situations and not put ourselves in them. In this case the prosecution (who has much more info that we do) has made a decision that there was not a strong enough case to prosecute for manslaughter.

We have probably all had a situation where a bike has come out of nowhere and passed us on the freeway, even not texting it's possible to lane change and get in the way of a bike that is moving faster than they should be.

RIP to Mr. Roberts and condolences for his family. I feel sorry for all involved.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 AM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought this at Hot Leathers tent at AZ Bike Week and I wear it regularly.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,188 Likes on 8,354 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Killing bikers was never a crime in the U.S. and never will be. Hopefully the victim's family takes everything the C**T has in a civil suit. I have zero tolerance for distracted driving.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Unfortunately the news article doesn't provide us with enough information to make an educated decision for ourselves - it's anyone's guess as to what the conflicting evidence was/is.
My condolences goes out to Mr. Roberts and his family - I really hope some type of strong message about the consequences of texting while driving was not only understood by Ms. Meyers but many others.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by fevest
http://foxbaltimore.com/news/feature...l#.U3IUzstOXIU

Unbelievable, would like to know what evidence they claim to have issue with. She was texting, admitted that, killed the guy. So what is the issue?
I'm guessing there must be another story besides the one above, which says nothing about her admitting to texting, but only being charged with it.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 AM
JOHNNYFLHR
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 610 Likes on 367 Posts

No matter what the fines, people will still be a**holes and text and talk on the phone. These phones are the worst thing ever. Don't have one and never will.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:21 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the phone, just like there's nothing wrong with consuming alcohol.

The public has been educated about the dangers of mixing drinking with driving, and the education is enforced by making it illegal.

The public needs to be educated about the dangers of mixing cellphone usage with driving (not just texting), but it's not really addressed unless it's made just as illegal for the vehicle operator to mix those two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $500 fine for killing motorcyclist