General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D/Wiley X Light Adjusting Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default H-D/Wiley X Light Adjusting Glasses

Does anyone have experience with the WileyX Airrage Light Adjusting glasses being sold by H-D? (I assume they are the same as the ones Wiley X sells through other outlets except for the logo, so if you use the non H-D ones, I'd like to hear your experience too.) Do they get dark enough for summertime daylight riding? Do they get clear enough for nighttime rides?

Please don't waste time telling me I can get them cheaper elsewhere. I know that. But I have a $40 H-D gift card from Dunlop that I got for buying my tires, so I can only spend it at the dealership.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have SG-1 prescription w/transitions. I like them, just understand they don't get extremely dark, but IMO just dark enough.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I like mine just fine. I would like them to get a little darker, but they are dark enough. Ask if you can put a pair on outside, then you can see if you like them. They let me do that. Cover one side with your hand and wait a minute, that will let you see the difference between tinted and regular. Mine have a slight amber tint when there is no sun. They did remind me they do not work behind a windshield of a car.....LOL. I usually use mine when I start out earlier in the day when it's still dark, that way when the sun comes up and I'm riding I don't have to change my glasses. Then later I might change them to my goggles which help keep my eyes from drying out.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,869 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Mine stopped changing shade after about 6 months.

Returned them, same thing happened again.

I use them for clear night glasses now.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:11 PM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts

I had some light adjusting Wiley's, but they weren't dark enough for me. I sold em and bought a pair of regular Wiley X riding glasses. At night I use some cheap Maxx riding glasses.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:21 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Mine stopped changing shade after about 6 months.

Returned them, same thing happened again.

I use them for clear night glasses now.
Did you use any chemicals to clean them? I've wondered about if there is something you should clean them with or not clean them with.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:25 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Mine work great, for day and night. they are the only glasses I wear, dark for sun, clear for night.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:48 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Most transition lens will only work when there is no obstructions between the lens and the sun - thus if you ride with a helmet visor or in your cage where you have a windshield (or any windows) - they will tend not to work - I found this out with a pair of Oakley's I purchased and returned them because of this reason after talking to the guys in the store.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Most transition lens will only work when there is no obstructions between the lens and the sun - thus if you ride with a helmet visor or in your cage where you have a windshield (or any windows) - they will tend not to work - I found this out with a pair of Oakley's I purchased and returned them because of this reason after talking to the guys in the store.
Not necessarily the material has to have UV absorbing/blocking properties. I wear wiley x prescription glasses with photochromic lenses. The windows in my office do not block UV transmission, because if I sit my glasses down next to
the window they go dark.

I haven't worn them under a full face I don't know if a clear acrylic or lexan visor blocks UV

I like them. I have the bricks. Before that I wore the air rage sunglasses but I wanted a little more facial coverage when I went prescription. All photochromic lenses eventually break down and quit changing.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:13 PM
louie c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the H.D. logo type wiley X ones. ( curve )
Like them very much.
the tint blocks the rays fine and if necessary I can all ways slide down the sun visor that built into my helmet. BUT so far the sunglasses work just fine.
The clear lens ( night time riding ) seem to be very clear and sharp on the vision.
Use mail order threw your local dealer and save 25 %.

Quick Reply: H-D/Wiley X Light Adjusting Glasses