General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnose My Disease

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:30 PM
fogline
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose My Disease

Life long rider, I finally buy my first Harley, a 2001 FXDX-T, 19 months ago. I didn't know how lucky I was.(The Bonnie and the Aprilia are still in the garage getting dusty).

Loved it from the moment I rode it. I did various upgrades from exhaust to full LED, but still a stock 88.
I've put over 30k miles in twelve states in that time.
The T-Sport is great in the Colorado mountains, comfortable at 85 on the desert freeways and easier than my Triumph in a parking lot.
Runs perfect, fits perfect, enough torque, great lean angle etc. etc. Yea, right.

Here is my question. Why do I look at Craigslist everyday? Why do I go to dealers for no reason (besides the free bratwursts)? For a while it was Electra Glides and Road Glides. Now it is Road Kings.
First is was similar years then 07s then 09s now even newer. I watched an Electra Glide Standard on Craigslist for 3 months and felt bad when it was sold, though I never went to see it.

I can help comparing this to being married to a beautiful loving wife and still checking out the newer models, fantasizing about what "could" happen. Oh forsake my wandering eye. I haven't even cheated by taking a test romp, err ride, and that makes it even more enticing. Eerie similarity here, except bikes don't get alimony.

What if I leave her for a nubile 96 or 103 and miss her? Too late, she won't take the philanderer back.

Have any of you moved from a bike, or wife, you were perfectly happy with for the excitement of something newer, or younger, and then regretted it? Or did it work out?

How do I attain salvation through inner peace?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:36 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Have any of you moved from a bike, or wife, you were perfectly happy with for the excitement of something newer, or younger, and then regretted it? Or did it work out?

More times than I wanna admit.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Grass is Greener Syndrome. I sometimes am afflicted, but one look at my checking account usually cures it.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fogline
Life long rider, I finally buy my first Harley, a 2001 FXDX-T, 19 months ago. I didn't know how lucky I was.(The Bonnie and the Aprilia are still in the garage getting dusty).

Loved it from the moment I rode it. I did various upgrades from exhaust to full LED, but still a stock 88.
I've put over 30k miles in twelve states in that time.
The T-Sport is great in the Colorado mountains, comfortable at 85 on the desert freeways and easier than my Triumph in a parking lot.
Runs perfect, fits perfect, enough torque, great lean angle etc. etc. Yea, right.

Here is my question. Why do I look at Craigslist everyday? Why do I go to dealers for no reason (besides the free bratwursts)? For a while it was Electra Glides and Road Glides. Now it is Road Kings.
First is was similar years then 07s then 09s now even newer. I watched an Electra Glide Standard on Craigslist for 3 months and felt bad when it was sold, though I never went to see it.

I can help comparing this to being married to a beautiful loving wife and still checking out the newer models, fantasizing about what "could" happen. Oh forsake my wandering eye. I haven't even cheated by taking a test romp, err ride, and that makes it even more enticing. Eerie similarity here, except bikes don't get alimony.

What if I leave her for a nubile 96 or 103 and miss her? Too late, she won't take the philanderer back.

Yes and yes. You know the saying about the grass looking greener on the other side of the fence. I remarried my first wife after being divorced from her almost ten years.We are coming up on our 23rd anniversary, I think it worked out

I once sold an Evo and bought a twin cam. Got an awful case of remorse before I even got the title back in my name. As soon as the title came back I sold it and bought another Evo. The Evo is a lot more forgiving,I have 3 others in the garage.The wife says I can have 4 women but she sure as #$&* isn't gonna be one of them.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Tell me more about the free Bratwurst.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've eventually sold all my bikes, but I think my current is my 40 year "pass down to the son" bike. Love everything about it and want for nothing. That said, yeah, I still look back at the "special" bikes I used to ride, and even troll eBay and Craigslist for future additions.

Never know.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:18 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

......... get the Road Glide

Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 PM
fogline
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dribble, The Denver area has 4 dealers and 2 more just a bit out.
Every week there is "Complimentary Breakfast Saturday, Bikini Bike Wash, Save Thousands on Pre-Owned!" at one of them.
"let's get that clean before you take it on a test ride" has tempted me more than once.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

My addiction is not as bad as yours - while your is whole kit and kaboodle, mine is only the sum of their parts - installing this or that only to see something I like even better shortly after bringing it home.
Lucky for me - Colorado is a "Communal state" and I only need to split 50/50 during the period we have been legally bonded.
I think if I ever got to your position, I would rather part ways then put a cover over her and place her in the corner of the garage.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

... I can help comparing this to being married to a beautiful loving wife and still checking out the newer models, fantasizing about what "could" happen. Oh forsake my wandering eye...
You can read the menu but you have to eat at home.

Quick Reply: Diagnose My Disease