General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another group ride crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:08 PM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Another group ride crash

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/LC...?device=tablet

There has been some discussion on the dangers of group rides lately. One being in a large group that you don't know their skill level. This guy wasn't paying attention saw the bikes ahead stopping for an intersection, panics and locks up the brakes (I'm betting just the rear) and loses control. Later found not to have a motorcycle operators licsense.

It's a shame. If you are serious about riding take a course and get a licsense. That's just the beginning on the road to being proficient. Take the time to get out and put some time in by yourself or with a mentor before you jump in an activity that requires some skill like a large group ride or a challanging road.

I will probably get flamed for not knowing this Guys skill level and just assuming he was unskilled just because he had no MC licsense and it wasn't his fault for just having a good time. My point is people not taking riding seriously and not realizing the consequences for not learning to ride. Staying alert and sober. I won't even go into wearing gear to hedge the odds incase of a crash.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Unfortunately there has and will always be stories like this - it is not up to each of us to assume the responsibilities to educate the masses but it is our responsibility to do whatever it is takes to protect ourselves out there on the road and to keep us out of harms way - be it proper education, training, riding gear, etc
My condolences goes out to the rider and let us all hope that each one of us here have a safe and enjoyable year.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Condolences to family and friends... Have seen many in 40 years in the saddle.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,197 Likes on 11,116 Posts

Perhaps organizers of these "poker runs" will be required to have liability insurance and require each participant to sign hold harmless waivers.
As part of the insurance requirements, ride officials will have to check drivers license credentials and helmet use with a no alcohol clause.
Sounds farfetched? What if the family of the deceased rider sues the organizers of the charity poker run? Family could claim the organized ride contributed to the death. Attorney's eat these types of cases for snacks.
Another example for avoiding group rides.
RIP good buddy, ride safe wherever you are.

Last edited by upflying; 05-13-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Pappy1
Road Captain

We have a friend and She Just went through the riding Course.....She does Well....But needs more riding time...we tell her the more time in the saddle the better she will get...When we all ride with her...We let her lead...That way we can keep an eye on her and she can lead the group at the pace she feel most comfortable with...and we can see how she is doing and give her riding tips....

Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 PM
just browsing
Intermediate

Never did like riding in big groups. I'll ride with a few people, but I tend to stay away from the higher numbers, they just make me feel uncomfortable. Always sobering to hear about something like this happening.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

This is why I don't go on these anymore. If it's a charity I want to support, I will with a donation.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Most common term for a group ride today is " Clusterf**k "......

Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer

Geeeeze I hate to think it will take more rules or laws, we be sporting too many now like chains on that dude in the Scrooge thing....

Got no solution so I will pipe down now.....

Old 05-13-2014, 08:18 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

sorry to hear about a man losing his life. sad

from the report it says he lost control when he braked/slowed down.
does it matter if it was a "group ride ", or any other traffic coming to a stop ?

Quick Reply: Another group ride crash