General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Kuryakyn Forward Controls...A couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Installed Kuryakyn Forward Controls...A couple of questions

I installed the kit on my 2012 Superglide Custom. Aside from abysmal directions, I was able to get them installed enough where I could test ride the bike but I have to sort a few issues out. Maybe you guys can help.

1) My stock pegs don't swing out straight. I don't know if the tolerances of the Kuryakyn mounts versus the HD pegs, but they don't swing normally. I took a grinder to the left side peg to remove a little material and it seemed to help but seemed odd that one would need to grind a peg to make it work. It's still not perfect, but I ran out of light. Is this normal for this install?

2) How the f are you supposed to mount the old mid shifter rod retainer? The diagram does not make sense to me and I fooled with the damn thing for a long time before I just gave up. I must be missing something. Maybe someone can take a photo of theirs so I can see or describe it better than the directions.

3) I take it the installer must loosen the peg mounts to rotate them to allow the pegs to swing up in the right direction? The fight peg mount came loose instantly on my test ride and is dangling. I will need to take out the bolt and threadlock it I guess. It seemed odd that Kuryakyn would ship the peg mounts completely in the wrong orientation, but I guess they did.

4) Although I put blue threadlock on all the major things I installed today. They want you to use red which seems like it could cause a problem down the road for removal considering everything is chrome. I can see this whole contraption vibrating loose because there are a gazillion threaded parts.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, the heat shields on the bike have a recess for the old mid controls.

Can I get a heat shield from another Dyna like a Wide Glide that comes with stock forward controls that does not have the recess in it or do all the Dynas have the same heat shield?