General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, How's your states tourism department?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default So, How's your states tourism department?

Are they motorcycle friendly? I guess I never thought about it before today.

There is an ad that pops up here on the Forum from the state of Oklahoma's tourism department. I clicked on it, and opened up a website that let me select a choice of travel brochures should I want to go to Oklahoma. My lady is part Indian, and one of the brochures highlighted the rich Indian history of Oklahoma, so I ordered that, along with several others, including Route 66, winery's, zoo, etc. One of the questions asked was how we would be traveling, so I clicked motorcycle.

A huge package of info arrived yesterday, and included in it was a brochure for motorcyclists, highlighting several good "biker" roads.

In the past, I've ordered tourism packets from several states previous to taking trips, but this is the first time I believe I received info specifically for bikers.

A tip of the helmet to Oklahoma. Just the fact that they are advertising here indicates that they welcome our business.

P.s. The best part of any states info packet is that they are free, and always included an up to date road map.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never been a tourist in my own state so I really don't know

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ironhand
LOL, good reply!

I don't know what Mn would put in their tourism packets, but I do know we have a law on the books that states bikers are not to be discriminated against by businesses, such as campgrounds and restaurants. It was the first law signed by our infamous governor Jesse Ventura, who apparently was once with a group of bikers turned away by a restaurant in Rochester, Mn.

My wife (at the time) and I once had reservations at a campground in the Wisconsin Dells, but upon arriving, we were told that "bikers" weren't allowed. I was on a 750 Honda and she was on a 500 Honda!

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/26/us...rn-to-law.html

http://bikersofamerica.blogspot.com/...rochester.html

Last edited by MNPGRider; 05-14-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:16 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

West Virginia Division of Tourism has a link on their website to www.wvmountainrider.com, motorcycle related tourism information.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fj1200
West Virginia Division of Tourism has a link on their website to www.wvmountainrider.com, motorcycle related tourism information.
Nice!

I just checked ours at http://www.exploreminnesota.com/things-to-do/

and found "biking" as in on a bicycle, and off road trail riding, as in four wheeling or trail riding, but nothing for on road motorcycling.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 05-14-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
That's what I was thinking.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Colorado does a pretty good job. They have a motorcycle touring page.

http://www.colorado.com/features?fie...ms_per_page=10

Old 05-14-2014, 09:48 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,135 Likes on 11,099 Posts

Oregon state line has a sign that says, "welcome to Oregon, enjoy your visit".
Clearly the message in Oregon is come but don't stay. If from California, go away.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:29 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm originally from New Jersey, why bother?

Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Great White
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Are they motorcycle friendly? I guess I never thought about it before today.

There is an ad that pops up here on the Forum from the state of Oklahoma's tourism department. I clicked on it, and opened up a website that let me select a choice of travel brochures should I want to go to Oklahoma. My lady is part Indian, and one of the brochures highlighted the rich Indian history of Oklahoma, so I ordered that, along with several others, including Route 66, winery's, zoo, etc. One of the questions asked was how we would be traveling, so I clicked motorcycle.

A huge package of info arrived yesterday, and included in it was a brochure for motorcyclists, highlighting several good "biker" roads.

In the past, I've ordered tourism packets from several states previous to taking trips, but this is the first time I believe I received info specifically for bikers.

A tip of the helmet to Oklahoma. Just the fact that they are advertising here indicates that they welcome our business.

P.s. The best part of any states info packet is that they are free, and always included an up to date road map.
Well I'm from OK so I guess you answered the question for me. I guess I'll have to check some of that stuff out because I've never really looked into what all is around here as far as hole in the wall places outside of OKC.

Quick Reply: So, How's your states tourism department?