General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a permanent oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:55 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone using a permanent oil filter?

Care to share opinions? I saw this one in another thread and there are some things I like about the concept, but in a way it seems a giant leap back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REUSABLE-Bla...ht_7186wt_1362

Old 05-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much fun is washing out an oil filter? Personally, I'd rather recycle the whole thing and fit a brand new one.

Also - isn't there a risk of getting water in the oil with this thing if you don't dry it thoroughly? In fact, stopping to wash out your oil filter means that an oil change will take how long?!

Seems like the solution to a problem that no one really has...

Old 05-15-2014, 09:59 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
How much fun is washing out an oil filter? Personally, I'd rather recycle the whole thing and fit a brand new one.

Also - isn't there a risk of getting water in the oil with this thing if you don't dry it thoroughly? In fact, stopping to wash out your oil filter means that an oil change will take how long?!

You've pretty much said all there is to say about it. I agree.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter

I suppose if you had two of these filters you could alternate them. $222.00 buys a lot of filters though. Like you, I will stick with the "throw away" filter.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

I don't know the washing procedure, whether you use soap and water or solvent. I have a K&N AF that I wash with soap and water and re oil when needed. I know it's not the same thing since a few droplets of water going through the intake aren't going to have the same impact as a water in the oil system.

The product is promoted as having higher flow and better filtration.

So, having heard from the non users. Are there any riders using them that would like to comment? There are a number of permanent filter solutions out there so obviously someone is using them.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:13 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Yup, I do. Mine is made out of stainless steel, I take out the center and inspect it for foreign material that might be in my oil, it is then cleaned out with solvent and put back together. I started using it last year and as much as I ride and considering the cost of regular filters, it will be paid for by the end of this year and after that, the filter part of my oil change will be basically free, so I thought it was a good investment but to each their own.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:20 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Reusable filters are not new and washed and dried properly, there is zero risk of getting water in the oil. Usually the people that sell these things claim that it will make your bike run cooler. At least they're being honest in this ad.

$111.00 will buy a lot of oil filters though and I see no point in buying something that will take 50,000 miles of use to pay for itself.

Last edited by dribble; 05-15-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
Yup, I do. Mine is made out of stainless steel, I take out the center and inspect it for foreign material that might be in my oil, it is then cleaned out with solvent and put back together. I started using it last year and as much as I ride and considering the cost of regular filters, it will be paid for by the end of this year and after that, the filter part of my oil change will be basically free, so I thought it was a good investment but to each their own.
So, what brand filter are you using?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Reusable Oil Filters

Harley used to sell one that was reusable. That said you couldn't use it on a bike with an oil cooler. The only thing I would worry about is how fine a particle it will strain. If it isn't as fine as the throw away, I personally wouldn't use it. Save a few bucks on a filter and buy a new engine if it fails to do a good job...

Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,583 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I use them on my bikes, started using them when I was doing custom bikes. they work quite well, and they were better looking than anything else. just an added detail when doing a really nice bike. do they filter better? doubt it. Do they filter worse? no. Do they cool the oil better? I am skeptical of that claim, although the aluminum housing might dissipate some heat. They just look better, and perform good enough, (actually quite well) so I use them. as for the money, I think we are alll guilty of spending ridiculous amounts of cash on the silliest things, so whos to say!

Quick Reply: Anyone using a permanent oil filter?