General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 06:08 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Stealership

One of the first mods I did when I bought my bike was to add a detach kit for the tourpak. The kit has black latches. I'm headed to Sturgis in a couple of months, so I thought it was time to add locking latches, and the dealer only had them in chrome. Turns out the pair of lockable latches in the package only works on one side, and the second one is intended for a detach backrest or whatnot. They are right side specific, so for the left side to match you have to buy a second, non locking pair of chrome latches. I ended up with a second pair of lockable/ non lockable latches and it only cost $140 for one useable set. Grrrr....

Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What does this have to do with the term "Stealership"?

Is it because you had to buy something??

Old 05-17-2014, 06:28 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,058 Likes on 11,069 Posts

What's wrong with a chrome locking latch on the right and a non-locking black latch on the left?
All this is hidden under the Tourpak...or is it something noticable?

Old 05-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900

My thought exactly.

Originally Posted by just plain john
One of the first mods I did when I bought my bike was to add a detach kit for the tourpak. The kit has black latches. I'm headed to Sturgis in a couple of months, so I thought it was time to add locking latches, and the dealer only had them in chrome.
Did you ask the dealership if they can order them in black? A couple of months if more than enough time to order them.

Turns out the pair of lockable latches in the package only works on one side, and the second one is intended for a detach backrest or whatnot.
And that's the dealerships fault?

They are right side specific, so for the left side to match you have to buy a second, non locking pair of chrome latches.

I ended up with a second pair of lockable/ non lockable latches and it only cost $140 for one useable set. Grrrr....

Old 05-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

And...pics would aid in us understanding your dilemma. Show us what you're trying to describe.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:34 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900

It's popular among some to put down dealerships. If I thought that, after I bought my bike, I'd only buy from indie shops. Oh well, to each their own.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:46 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
It's popular among some to put down dealerships. If I thought that, after I bought my bike, I'd only buy from indie shops. Oh well, to each their own.
Yup, I agree, if I need something I go to my Indy or look online and buy it, much cheaper that way.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:23 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm just saying it would make more sense to provide one working pair in a single package. Or even just sell them singly. If I wanted to add one to something else like a backrest I would just go get another set. I know that the dealer isn't responsible for packaging the products, but the counter guy snickered when I came back for the non locking latches.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

sounds like if he had been a good parts counter person, he might have asked you at the time of original purchase if you needed the non-locking side also. hell, even mcdonalds asks if 'you want fries with that'....

Old 05-18-2014, 10:28 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm just saying it would make more sense to provide one working pair in a single package. Or even just sell them singly. If I wanted to add one to something else like a backrest I would just go get another set. I know that the dealer isn't responsible for packaging the products, but the counter guy snickered when I came back for the non locking latches.
Just because the instructions say to put the locking latch on the right side only doesn't mean you can't put the other locking latch on the left side. It worked fine on mine.

Quick Reply: Stealership