General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HD - Making a decision...

Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 PM
MikeNH
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to HD - Making a decision...

Hey all - I'm new to HD and looking for some feedback/advice from those with a bit more wisdom on the subject. I've had it in my head after looking through some of the local shops and on craigslist that I was going to get a Street Bob, but today I came across a Springer that really caught my eye.

Right now it seems like the springer and a new street bob are pretty close in price, but other than that they seem like really different choices, so I'd be interested in knowing what else there is to consider when comparing the two:

2005 Springer
~4500 miles
Mint
Basically fully decked out with all the options I would want
$14,000 w/ 30 day warranty from pretty reputable local dealership
Pics here: http://images.traderonline.com/img/5...mb_770x574.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/5...mb_770x574.jpg

2014 Street Bob
0 miles
In order to be how I'd like it, I would like spend some more $$ for a two-up seat/back rest, different exhaust, and either highway pegs or forward controls.
Factory Warranty
Guessing around $16,000 + labor

Anything I should know when comparing the two? Is one better short-term/long-term value/etc? Is the price on the springer (assuming its pretty much mint) fair? Will it hold it's value better/worse than the new street bob? In all honesty, the springer really does it for me, definitely a classy bike and you don't see too many around here like that, but not being a Harley guy I want to make sure that I'm not nuts for paying basically the same price for a 10 year old bike than I would for a brand new one...

Any and all info any of you would share would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I'd go for the new bike over a 10 year old bike. Springer is very cool but it would worry me. The new one has a warranty and some nice advances. That being said, it's your $$$.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorlaw
I'd go for the new bike over a 10 year old bike. Springer is very cool but it would worry me. The new one has a warranty and some nice advances. That being said, it's your $$$.
Have to go with gatorlaw on this. Sure is quite a bit of dough for a ten year old.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:58 PM
MikeNH
5th Gear

Thanks for the advice thus far! My main concern with the springer is that if I bought it now and for some reason had to sell it a year from now, I wouldn't be able to get nearly what I spent on it. Think I'd be screwed or would there be little change?

Old 05-17-2014, 07:58 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Newer bike for sure. HOWEVER, that seems pretty high for a Street Bob. $13.3 is the MSRP on the HD website. Exaust should be less than $1k and those other accessories aren't that expensive.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:04 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,036 Likes on 11,056 Posts

Springer is a Softail and the Street Bob is a Dyna..two very different rides.
SB is also a 103 with a 6 speed...Springer is most likley an 88 with 5 speeds. But I could be wrong, I'm not an eggspurt on models.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

what is the NADA value on the springer?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

...IMHO neither would be ideal if you plan on lots of 2 up long distance riding. But what really matters the most is which one will give you a woody...the rest can be modified to suit and may be adequate..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 PM
MikeNH
5th Gear

...IMHO neither would be ideal if you plan on lots of 2 up long distance riding. But what really matters the most is which one will give you a woody...the rest can be modified to suit and may be adequate..
Honestly the longest rides we go on are maybe 1 hour so I'm not too worried about that. I'm also an ex crotch-rocket rider so any cruiser is heaven comfort-wise for me!

what is the NADA value on the springer?
NADA says 11,800, which is sort of disconcerting...

An hour ago I was almost set on the springer - starting to doubt myself

Thanks again for the info so far guys! More opinions are welcomed!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:25 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,036 Likes on 11,056 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeNH
Honestly the longest rides we go on are maybe 1 hour so I'm not too worried about that. I'm also an ex crotch-rocket rider so any cruiser is heaven comfort-wise for me!
!
The Dyna line is a bit more sporty if you are defecting from a crotch-rocket. Have you looked at the Low Rider? Softails are cruisers.

Last edited by upflying; 05-17-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to HD - Making a decision...