General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush mount fuel cap and gauge - HD-62910-09C

Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Flush mount fuel cap and gauge - HD-62910-09C

I finally got around to buying and installing the flush mount gas cap and fuel gauge on my 2010 FXDC (HD-62910-09C). Thanks to Mordrapheus for the how to with additional pics Mounting a flush gas gauge.

All-in all a simple job. I did not have to lift the gas tank. I was able to unclip the wire harness from under the tank by accessing it from the right (opposite) side just above the front cylinder. A little tip; the clip holding the harness kept moving around as I tried to slide the harness up over the top and out. What I did was take a wire coat hanger and just hooked the clip to keep it from moving while I slide the harness up and out with a long screwdriver. I did not need the hanger to get the harness back in the clip.

Also, I did not realize the 4-pin connecter has a little latch clamp on it. When I attempted to first pull the OEM wires out of it they would not come out. Once I realized there was a little clamp built in, I popped it open and the wires came right out.

Before and after pics included but not that great. Overall I love the look but I am extremely disappointed they are plastic. For $200+ you'd think you'd get metal. I need to tinker with the gas gap as the cap is not flush with the top of the trim ring toward the back. The front is flush but the back is a hair off.

Any questions ask away and I'll try to answer.

Attached Thumbnails Flush mount fuel cap and gauge - HD-62910-09C-flushmountgas.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Because of the spring in the cap I don't know if you will ever get it flush. I installed one on my switch back and my cvo king came with it and neither were flush. I too was disappointed with all the plastic. Also I find that the fuel reading is hard to see in daylight (maybe the black one with the blue lights are easier). That being said I prefer the look.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 PM
tcatnat
Road Master

Agreed on seeing the fuel gauge in the daylight; I actually wish I could turn the fuel gauge off since I already have one. I definitely love the look.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:48 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcatnat
Agreed on seeing the fuel gauge in the daylight; I actually wish I could turn the fuel gauge off since I already have one. I definitely love the look.

Just disconnect it?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 AM
tcatnat
Road Master

Someone had posted you need to leave it connected or the fuel gauge on the speedo would not work either. something with the circuit could not be broken or neither would work. I guess I probably should have tried while doing the install.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 AM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same fuel gauge on your before picture and the flush gas cap in the after. Mine sits flush but if the gasket isn't all the way up it will sit a bit higher...check yours out.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I installed these on my Fatboy a couple of years ago. Perfectly flush, looks great.

I can tell you one problem you're sure to run into. Sometimes when you push down and twist on the gas cap for opening or closing, your hand or fingers are going to slide, not giving enough movement to open or close it. It can be frustrating as hell! You just need to keep the cap surface as non-slippery as possible, or be able to get it that way when you want to get that cap on and off.

One thing I ended up doing that helped a lot: put a tiny amount of silicone lube on to the latching mechanism.