General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charging issues,,, damn it!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:50 AM
SlackMason
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging issues,,, damn it!

My bike is a 97' dyna superglide, stock 80" evo. I had to replace a voltage regulator a month and a half ago due to overcharging the battery.

Night before last I rode to a friend's house and stayed for a few hours. Went to start the bike and the battery was too dead to get the bike started. Had to get a tow home. Today I ran some tests. No charging voltage at the battery, 12.3volts idling, throttling, whatever.
Checked the voltage at the stator. 22 or so volts at idle, increasing as expected with throttle. So, I'm thinking this regulator may be out. Unless it came disconnected at the breaker bolt...

But! I think I may have some continuity between the stator and the ground. As, when I put the tester between the stator plug and the block, there is some change on the meter. Would a grounded stator cause the loss of charging voltage, even if I'm definitely getting voltage to the regulator? Also, the regulator definitely gets warm, so I know it's getting voltage. Also, had the battery checked, and it checked out as good. Just low on charge.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Im going with the regulator.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM
SlackMason
Intermediate

I wonder if there is a warranty on the regulator, I got it from the dealer. What could cause my bike to burn up a regulator? Assuming it isn't defective? I did let it idle a little longer the other day in 100° heat, nothing I would've thought could damage anything.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:41 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SlackMason
I wonder if there is a warranty on the regulator, I got it from the dealer. What could cause my bike to burn up a regulator? Assuming it isn't defective? I did let it idle a little longer the other day in 100° heat, nothing I would've thought could damage anything.
No warranty, no returns. Is typical for any electrical parts purchased across the parts counter at any motorcycle or auto dealer.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cycle electric has a limited warrenty on thiere components *not sure the terms* but from what i have heard folks dotn have any issues IF theres a failure within the time period when it comes time to call them up for warrnety. my whol charging system died on me as a result of riding it with a weak battery, v-reg fried and then subsequently the stator burned up and is shorted to ground i am guessign as a result of it as a result of it

Last edited by NSCoyote; 05-20-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 PM
SlackMason
Intermediate

I don't know if this is the case, because I gotta check, but I know that there are 22amp charging systems and 32amp charging systems.

If the dealer gave me a 22amp regulator, and I put it on my 32amp system, would that would probably cause my regulator to burn out eventually, yea?

Does anyone know the part numbers for the different Harley regulators?

Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,772 Likes on 17,440 Posts

Originally Posted by SlackMason
I don't know if this is the case, because I gotta check, but I know that there are 22amp charging systems and 32amp charging systems.

If the dealer gave me a 22amp regulator, and I put it on my 32amp system, would that would probably cause my regulator to burn out eventually, yea?

Does anyone know the part numbers for the different Harley regulators?
Can't mix & match the plugs are different ..........

Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 PM
SlackMason
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Can't mix & match the plugs are different ..........
Good to know, thanks TwiZted.

I'm pretty confident it's the voltage regulator, I just hope there isn't a problem with the stator burning it out.

Last edited by SlackMason; 05-21-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Take the front fuel tank bolt out...

then, use a flash light to see if there are any wires that may have been pinched in the past. Be careful replacing the bolt, that is the cause of pinching wires in that area. An intermittent short can result from bare wires that were pinched, removing/replacing the tank bolt.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 AM
SlackMason
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Take the front fuel tank bolt out...

then, use a flash light to see if there are any wires that may have been pinched in the past. Be careful replacing the bolt, that is the cause of pinching wires in that area. An intermittent short can result from bare wires that were pinched, removing/replacing the tank bolt.
I'll check that out in the morning. Thanks!

I'm curious, I was sick in a different city, but now bike and I am home, with my tools multimeter and service manual. And in the manual it shows the voltage regulator has a ground strap. Mine didn't have one when I got it. Could this cause a problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: charging issues,,, damn it!