General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken down in Boston

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 AM
palmpalm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken down in Boston

On Saturday I got on my 2012 FLTRX in Toronto and rode to Lake Placid. On Sunday I left Lake Placid and rode through the beautiful mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire then into Massachusetts.
On the freeway in Boston my throttle cut out. I don't mean into limp mode, I mean there was all of a sudden without warning no thottle! Hazard lights on, I coasted across three lanes to the side of the freeway and came to a stop.
Scary stuff. But guess what? In the 1.5 years since I bought this bike new from my local HD Dealer, this is the third time this has happened. It has twice been fixed under warranty, having had to replace the computer modules and the throttle body and all that.
And yet here we go again! My bike is now at Boston HD and I am staying with a friend. I am pissed off. I bought this bike to tour around America but how can I trust a bike that has left me stranded with the same dangerous issue three times.
I want the moco to step up on this and compensate me or give me a new bike. When you spend 25 grand on a brand new touring motorcycle this crap shouldn't happen three times despite having been "fixed"
Sincerely, Broken down in Boston.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We have a lemon law here in the states. 3 repairs for the same issue and you have a case for vehicle replacement or compensation.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM
palmpalm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by howitzer88
We have a lemon law here in the states. 3 repairs for the same issue and you have a case for vehicle replacement or compensation.
Ya. Unfortunately no such thing in Ontario, Canada.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In 2009 I walked into a local dealer to buy a Road king. My friend who was with me said "oh no it's throttle by wire". The salesman said they're fine, all the higher end cars have them. I said "cancel the sale, see that Mercedes Benz in the parking lot, well it's mine and it's throttle by wire and I hate it!" I then bought a used King with throttle cables. I know this is NOT what you want to hear, I'm sorry your stranded it sux, but my cables have never let me down! BTW my friend just bought a $40K 2014 CVO Ultra and has already had trouble with his!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Thank God my 13 Heritage is cable!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts

Glad you're safe and made it to the side of the road. I don't know exactly where you were and at what time but there's some really bad spots to breakdown around there. Some places don't even have a breakdown lane during certain hours. Did the Everett shop come and get your bike?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That sux the big one, warranty or not! Sounds like no more Warr on it. Hate nothing more then have a undependable vehicle, especially a fairly new one. Takes the fun right out of it!
Of course you'll be paying for this out of pocket, even though it's not a new issue with your bike. See what your dealer back home has to say about it when you get back, which i figure wont be anything more then 10% off a tshirt.
I'd get all my paperwork and drop it on my Lawyers desk, including expenses, if need be.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,749 Likes on 6,194 Posts

That's the kind of stuff we used to pull over, fix, and go back down the road 5 minutes later. New & improved my ***. Aggravating as hell.
I like the push-pull cables. If you break one on the pull side, you can just take the push one off that side and replace it, since the carb has a return spring built into it anyway.
Between that kinda crap and the fobs...it's gotta suck to be stranded and helpless for something that should be easy. Feel for ya.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:26 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bummer. I live quite close to the HD dealer now that I moved to East Boston.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Highway in Boston means you were either on the Pike or on 93. Either way, no place to be broken down on. I'm glad you were OK in that respect.

I hate to say this but companies just don't stand behind their products anymore like they used too. It's not just HD, it's widespread. The only way you can force them to do anything is if you take them on to push your point and that can be expensive as well.

I'd start writing down all expenses because of this failure and then when you get home consult with an attorney. Using an attorney is BS, but in many cases it's the only way to make a company pay attention to your situation.

Good luck on your trip!

Quick Reply: Broken down in Boston