General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Word of Caution

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Word of Caution

Almost was run over yesterday while out with the wife. No big story just a little hindsight to offer.

Just finished a picnic lunch with the Wife in Corunna down by the dam at Heritage Park. Pulled to the edge of the road waiting for the steady stream of traffic to clear. I started moving during a clearing in traffic and was on the roadway when a pickup truck, directly across the road, was backing out of a private driveway.

We came within inches of impact. Him moving backwards into the roadway, me on the road turning left into the far lane in the direction I was going.

I had sat there for a minute or two waiting for traffic to clear and not looking directly across at the private drive to even see him backing out. I had already pulled onto the pavement and was moving to my left when his backup lights caught my eye.

I went to honk but timing was such that I hit the gas hard to get out of his way. Seemed like he never saw me, or slowed. I thought he might stop if he suddenly became aware I was there.

Not sure who would have even been at fault if we would have hit each other?

What a rush! And about the 5th or 6th time I had a close call riding just yesterday. It really boils down to be very defensive on the road while riding. (I know we all feel this way anymore)

So my lesson learned is to not overlook the least likely scenario. I don't think I was being lax, I was just focussed on the steady stream of traffic on the road and forgot to check what was going on in the private driveway right in front, and around me at the time.

Live to ride another day!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:42 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Close, is still too close to me.

Even if it was midnight and we were wearing glow in the dark clothes and our bikes were neon, they still wouldn't see us. During the day, we're just SOL and on our own.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 AM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best advice I ever got was "keep your head on a swivel". Glad you're ok man.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

A similar scenario happened a few years ago riding with some friends, he pulled across a very busy 2 lane hwy to go left and narrowly missed the guy coming across the road straight into the driveway we were leaving. Just one of those things you go "aw ****" to.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of threads like this lately. You just had a slip up, chalk it up to a learning experience and chalrie mike.

Yesterday on a 60 mile round trip I was a few miles down the road when I crested a hill and the farmer had just pulled onto the road a bit before me. There was chunks of solid mud that would not have cleared the bumper on my truck. As I slowed to pick a line and hit the smallest chunks possible a huge butterfly exploded on my face shield and a bird decided to ram into the side of my helmet (I think he was going after the exploded butterfly). Damn near died seven times in about 60 yards and then the huge chunks dissipated to small clumps easily run over, but still slippery and easily avoided. I wiped the liquified butterfly from my face shield, checked the range of motion on my neck because it hurt a little from the bird impact and kept on riding. I wish someone was behind me video taping the whole thing. I have no clue how I kept the two round rubber things in contact with the road.

Last edited by Dusty Bones; 05-20-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 PM
JOHNNYFLHR
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 610 Likes on 367 Posts

Alot of times it is here where the wife comes in handy. Shes looking where you are not.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:01 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Anyone that is backing does NOT have the right of way. It would have been his fault. Glad it turned out the way it did.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Him moving backwards into the roadway, me on the road turning left into the far lane in the direction I was going.
This part got my attention. When turning left, shouldn't you pull into near lane then check chit and move to far lane when clear?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you made it through it ok. We all have had days like that where it seems they are all out to get you... As long as we get home ok, it's a good day

Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 PM
lpd1snipe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned when I started riding on the street in South Florida in 1971....... Pretend you're invisible and you'll live to ride another day.

Quick Reply: Word of Caution