General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got In Over My Head

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 AM
AZRider62
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got In Over My Head

----------------

Last edited by AZRider62; 08-27-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:32 AM
diesel6060
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is how we learn our limits and our bikes. If we always played it safe, we would never push ourselves. I have put myself in situations like this and the pucker factor has made me wish I had stayed home. In the end, you will become a better rider. Keep on truckin!

Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But you made it home safely, so you did great. You'll get better and more comfortable over time.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:53 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Yup wind can be nasty in Arizona. Good thing it did not kick up a Haboob. Next time you get caught in that kind of situation it won't seem quite so bad.
I tried to be a smart azz one time and corner as fast as I could, but the corner was a little sharper than I anticipated. I got into the corner and looked at the side of the road. That is where I headed into the gravel and towards a fence post and cable barrier. I kept thinking that "this is going to hurt" and if I hit my brakes it would hurt even worse. Well I let go of the throttle, gritted my teeth and hung on. I did ride it through,, but there was a new stain on the seat.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:54 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

1st big ride up to Prescott , going up Yarnell hill ...I hit one curve alittle to fast and almost ended up into the guard rail . So I learned something new that day. You will never stop learning , but will get wiser ..

Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Wind gusts to 50 are tough for anybody. A friends Dad got killed on a windy day when he was blown into opposing traffic.
Glad you made it home.

I try not to hold the grips too tight.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 AM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The very first time I rode my RK was a little crazy in retrospect. I had just bought it from a private dealer in a city about 100 miles from my home town. Plan was to buy the bike, ride it to see my folks then head home (another 300 miles btw!) the next day. On paper it all worked out, but I would hesitate to recommend it to another new rider. It happened to be a pretty windy day hitting me from the side. Going 60 around a curve AND passing a couple of cars on a freeway, of course the cars were blocking the wind. As soon as I cleared the front car I got hit with a gust that almost blew me off the curve. I slowed down a bit after that. All said and done on that trip, stalled at a stop sign, dropped it in front of a HD dealer, almost blown off the curve, and froze my ***** off on a cold windy ride home. At the same time I was having a blast and knew riding was in my blood. You will learn fast just like I did. Ride safe out there and good luck.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OP...set some sort of limits for your self. maybe a year or 10k miles before you try a group ride. start with a small group and short rides. one thing to remember about group rides is that there is usually inexperienced riders in the mix(like you are now), and they can cause problems for everyone. many people avoid group rides like the plague--right now, you need more miles under your belt before trying group rides.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,201 Posts
Default My .02

Seriously, I thnk you did great.. No one can ride comfortably inhigh winds. You took the right measures, you SLOWED DOWN, you rode smart. I think you did a good job.. BUT group rides, stay to the back of the pack... Newbies are not good in groups half the time. One mistake.......

Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,748 Likes on 6,193 Posts

Don't try to fight the crosswinds by rigidly maintaining a straight line. Relax A LITTLE, and when it gusts, give it just enough time to gauge how hard and then adjust for it.

There's a section between Phoenix and Tuscon that owes me a hat. It was tied on. It also blew down a McDonalds sign onto a car that day.

Quick Reply: Got In Over My Head