General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miami for the day...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 01:24 PM
roundy
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Miami for the day...

Hey everyone, normally hiding over on the Sporty section but just wanted some advice.

I am over in Brazil for the England v Uruguay game courtesy of work and on the way back I have a 12hr lay over in Miami.

I've hired a Fat Boy for 0900-1500 and I am just wondering if anyone has some suggestions of cool places to ride? Hoping to pop into a gun range as well as we don't get the chance to shoot handguns in the UK anymore!

Cheers!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:29 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Maybe head down to Key Largo, assuming you're renting from Petersons? Come on England!!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:41 PM
roundy
Tourer

Using Eagle Rider at the end of the runway...

Old 05-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Bwelsh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eagle Rider is downtown. I think there's a new upscale gun range nearby (Lock and Load on N Miami Ave.)

I'd second Key Largo (via Card Sound Road). Other options are go east to the beach and then drive north, or go west to the Everglades. Traffic sucks, drivers are scary. Keep your eyes open!

Old 05-23-2014, 03:25 PM
roundy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bwelsh
Eagle Rider is downtown. I think there's a new upscale gun range nearby (Lock and Load on N Miami Ave.)

I'd second Key Largo (via Card Sound Road). Other options are go east to the beach and then drive north, or go west to the Everglades. Traffic sucks, drivers are scary. Keep your eyes open!
I heard that about the traffic! I commute to London every day so hopefully I'll cope. I've seen the Lock and Load place, a bit "gun ho" was just looking to shoot some hand guns in a calm environment :-D I only have 6hrs though, is Key Largo not too far?

I want to pay a visit to a HD dealer also and grab a shirt or something - maybe more as HD stuff is so much cheaper over the pond!

Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

You won't have time to get out of the airport ,ride close to the airport.My daughter says that there is no speed limits there much less LAW and order.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM
roundy
Tourer

Time to get out of the airport? I land at 0620 and don't pick up the bike until 0900, think I should be ok?

Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by roundy
Time to get out of the airport? I land at 0620 and don't pick up the bike until 0900, think I should be ok?
How much luggage are you bringing? Where are you staying? Figure by the time you leave the airport you'll have about 2 hours. Which isn't much time in that area's traffic. South Beach is pretty cool. I don't know where a gun range is there but the Cuban culture in Miami is interesting.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You don't say what day of the week you are doing this.

2 things about the traffic here:
1) It can be dangerous.
2) If you hit rush hour you may get hung up and miss your flight.

Key Largo or Alabama Jacks will take you an hour to get there.
South Beach is less than 1/2 hour. But traffic can be a real pain.

Thse 2 locations are at totally different ends of the spectrum. What are your interests?

If you want to get a taste of the keys. Get on the bike and ride for a couple of hours. It will put you around Marathon Key. Stop have lunch on the water and head back. In that 2 hours you will see some of the upper keys and the Overseas Highway. Go just a bit farther and you will ride the 7 Mile Bridge and start to see what the keys are about. This is what I recommend.

Last edited by Jonesee; 05-24-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
You don't say what day of the week you are doing this.

2 things about the traffic here:
1) It can be dangerous.
2) If you hit rush hour you may get hung up and miss your flight.

Key Largo or Alabama Jacks will take you an hour to get there.
South Beach is less than 1/2 hour. But traffic can be a real pain.

Thse 2 locations are at totally different ends of the spectrum. What are your interests?

If you want to get a taste of the keys. Get on the bike and ride for a couple of hours. It will put you around Marathon Key. Stop have lunch on the water and head back. In that 2 hours you will see some of the upper keys and the Overseas Highway. Go just a bit farther and you will ride the 7 Mile Bridge and start to see what the keys are about. This is what I recommend.

Yep. This is the only answer. Ride over the 7mile and turn around...or if you're fine on time, go a little further to the Bahia Honda State park area and turn around just south of the old railroad bridge (I lived in the keys many years and the Bahia Honda bridge and beaches are my favorite place, hands down).

Riding the overseas highway and utilizing Card Sound instead of the 18 mile stretch is the best utilization of your time and I would skip the gun range to get more time in the saddle. But if you're hellbent on shooting, you can turn around in the Keys sooner and then hit up the range in Homestead on your way back to the airport.

Quick Reply: Miami for the day...