General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking over or thru the w/s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Looking over or thru the w/s?

Just wondering how many of you look through your windshield?

I'm currently using a 10" WindSplitter on my 2013 Ultra Classic and getting some buffeting. I may drop down to a 7" or 4" for when I ride by myself, but am wondering if when my wife and I are on a long trip, if the lack of wind and noise with a tall shield is worth looking through the windshield?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:21 PM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock windshield on my 07 ultra and as long as it's clean on both sides I don't mind looking through it one bit. Spent a day and long ride on a friends street glide with the short windshield, I was kinda beat up at the end of the day from the wind. For just around town the short windshield would be fine.

I do notice the distortion in the windshield riding at night, not during the day, and if it's covered in bugs as well its really hard to look through. So... longer rides, daytime, clean, I like it.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,189 Likes on 2,822 Posts

I look just over the top. The height is right at my nose. The air goes over my head and no buffeting

Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 PM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and I also have the fairing mounted wind deflectors and that chrome ashtray thingy between the forks, so those probably help. I don't really feel any buffeting unless its really windy on the freeway.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Uh,it's a motorcycle.47 years of riding,and I never heard the word "buffeting" until I got on this forum. Freakin' pussies................................

Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I have 45 years experience riding. I didn't mean to offend.....I understand "buffeting" is a really big word.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Marks57
I have 45 years experience riding. I didn't mean to offend.....I understand "buffeting" is a really big word.
Don't worry about it Marks57, being a new guy how could you have possibly known what an ultimate badass Twistnride is.

For what it's worth when I do run a windshield I prefer to look over the top of it.

Last edited by Bricklayer; 05-23-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I run the stock short one on the SG for local stuff and can look clear over it and put on the Klock Werks 9" and look through it for long highway runs. Still owning a slicked down FXST with nothing in front of me but the wind is a nice feeling too.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SR90
Stock windshield on my 07 ultra and as long as it's clean on both sides I don't mind looking through it one bit. Spent a day and long ride on a friends street glide with the short windshield, I was kinda beat up at the end of the day from the wind. For just around town the short windshield would be fine.

I do notice the distortion in the windshield riding at night, not during the day, and if it's covered in bugs as well its really hard to look through. So... longer rides, daytime, clean, I like it.

I just now got around to buying a larger shield for my SG...I endured the buffeting for 9k miles but honestly, it didn't bother me one bit and wasn't really much of an issue except on really windy days. I wear a FF though that helps channel the wind smoothly around it. Never once got off the bike and felt beat up by the wind.

Only reason I really switched to a larger shield was to put a fairing pouch on and not have it look all goofy by being right at the top or slightly over the top of the stock shield.

I went with a 7" LRS windblade. Still look right over the top of it...it doesn't detract from the shorter shield, street look of the SG, and the recurve helps send the wind right up and over.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marks57
Lessee',now, 1.........2.........Holy ****! Three whole syllables! Musta' gone to school! PS,ALWAYS look over the shield.

Last edited by Twistnride; 05-23-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking over or thru the w/s?