General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust "amnesty" clinic.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Donnybrook
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Exhaust "amnesty" clinic.

Here we go again... Edmonton Police Service just being the nice guys they are. Looks like there will be plenty of used after market pipes for sale in Edmonton after this weekend.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/05/2...ic-on-saturday

Last edited by Donnybrook; 05-23-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:39 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Modified exhaust/loud pipes laws are on the books everywhere. Here in NY I understand if the exhaust system lacks the manufacturers stamp indicating it is in compliance with federal guidelines you can be ticketed, and if you get the wrong cop your bike can be impounded! Everyone who installs a custom exhaust does it for the sound, you go into this thing knowing exactly what your trying to accomplish. I ran straight pipes for over 30 years and paid a few tickets in that time. Now at 63 my Roadking has the stock exhaust on it and I'm fine with it and don't get my b@lls broke by the cops. After 40 years in the saddle I've learned It's not about the sound.....it's about the ride. If you modify your exhaust and like it that way and you get ticketed just man up and pay the fine and quit complaining. You knew when you changed the system you where running the risk of this happening. If you didn't... well then you're to stupid to ride a bike!

Let the flaming begin!

Last edited by wraplock; 05-24-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock
... You knew when you changed the system you where running the risk of this happening. If you didn't... well then you're to stupid to ride a bike!...
LOL! Well said!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:01 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock
Modified exhaust/loud pipes laws are on the books everywhere. Here in NY I understand if the exhaust system lacks the manufacturers stamp indicating it is in compliance with federal guidelines you can be ticketed, and if you get the wrong cop your bike can be impounded! Everyone who installs a custom exhaust does it for the sound, you go into this thing knowing exactly what your trying to accomplish. I ran straight pipes for over 30 years and paid a few tickets in that time. Now at 63 my Roadking has the stock exhaust on it and I'm fine with it and don't get my b@lls broke by the cops. After 40 years in the saddle I've learned It's not about the sound.....it's about the ride. If you modify your exhaust and like it that way and you get ticketed just man up and pay the fine and quit complaining. You knew when you changed the system you where running the risk of this happening. If you didn't... well then you're to stupid to ride a bike!

Let the flaming begin!
I didn't change my pipes for sound. I did it strictly for power. That's why I run a 3 stepped header, spiral wound 2 into 1 exhaust with the smallest size baffle available for it. If I wanted loud sound and performance I would have installed a Thunder Header. If I was stupid and wanted loud and no power I could have done what you did and installed straight pipes.

Glad it only took you 40 years figure out that riding an obnoxiously loud bike does not make you cool. Maybe if you have another 40 years left you can figure out some other glaringly obvious fact of life like sticking your hand in a campfire hurts!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Donnybrook
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lol...well said PFWiz.