General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes Indy helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 PM
nvbirdman
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Who makes Indy helmets?

Who makes the helmets the Indy drivers wear? When you're spending $500K and up for a race car, you're not going to cheap out and save a few bucks on your drivers helmet, so those helmets are the BEST. If I was the manufacturer, and I made motorcycle helmets I would have full page ads in every mc magazine saying when they wanted the best they chose my helmet.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:04 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by nvbirdman
When you're spending $500K and up for a race car, you're not going to cheap out and save a few bucks on your drivers helmet, so those helmets are the BEST.
I'm not sure I agree with that logic. Just because something's expensive doesn't mean it's the best. To be fair, I've never raced an F1 car, but I can't imagine the helmets are all that different from high-end motorcycle helmets. As long as a full-face is DOT-rated (and Snell, depending on who you ask), and mostly importantly, fits snugly, it should be just fine for riding.

No need to go buy a different helmet because your favorite driver wears it. That's in the same vein of thinking as buying a specific pair of jeans just because your favorite actor did a commercial for them.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:29 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,163 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Bell makes a F1 carbon fiber helmet for $3500.
http://www.saferacer.com/bell-racing...-racing-helmet

Old 05-25-2014, 11:40 PM
nvbirdman
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't say something is better because it costs more, I said they are going to buy the best no matter what the best costs. BTW, I googled it and 13 out of the 33 drivers were wearing Bell.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:48 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well from my involvement in motor sports from several angles the most popular were the simpson helmets just due to the support team they have at about all race events . Bell would probably be second.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:01 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The shells are almost all the same but it's the insides that are custom made for each individual driver. And yes they are $$$$.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:21 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by nvbirdman
I googled it and 13 out of the 33 drivers were wearing Bell.
I wonder if that is because Bell sponsors the drivers and wearing a Bell helmet is part of their deal?

Old 05-26-2014, 03:53 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 3408pete
Well from my involvement in motor sports from several angles the most popular were the simpson helmets just due to the support team they have at about all race events . Bell would probably be second.
the problem i found with the simpson on the road was lack of visibility, the helmet came round to far n the hole was to small i don't recommend it for road use,i had a simpson bandit in the 90s they might have changed also the build wasn't as good & was heavier than an arai so was my bell..

http://tonisglamourshack.blogspot.co.uk

Old 05-26-2014, 05:03 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What about the helmet that are worn by Moto GP riders, these guys are the F1 riders of motorcycles. Most of them wear Arai and Shoei helmets.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:59 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

The bike helmets and car helmets are fairly different. They both protect heads but they are also used as part of the aero package. Most of the F1 guys use Schuberth helmets. It will probably be my next street helmet since they make nice modular stuff.

Most of the moto gp guys wear Arai or Shoei. You'll see some shark stuff out there as well as some random other brands.

Snell, dot or ece 22.05 have little to do with race helmets. When I tech my helmet they check for material its made from. Has to be some sort of compostie like fiberglass or carbon fiber. No polycarbonate stuff. And then they check for date manufactured. Anything 5 years or older gets failed.

Quick Reply: Who makes Indy helmets?