General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.O.G. roadside asst needs work!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:11 PM
roadrage12
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default H.O.G. roadside asst needs work!

So I rode up to Idaho over the holiday weekend. I decided I would take my old bike. I have a 98 Fatboy. Left Salt Lake on Saturday worked my way up to Twin Falls then over to Salmon by way of Hwy 93. Great ride! Woke up the next morning and headed out to go back to go back to Salt Lake by way of Hwy 28 to Idaho Falls then down I15. Got about 60 miles out of Salmon on 28 when my bike quit. I'm pretty sure it was my stator. My tach went first then my speedo and then pretty much everything.
Lucky I had cell service. Got a hold of HOG and asked for a tow. Long story short they wouldn't tow me into Idaho Falls because the dealership was closed. Then they wanted me to go all the way over to Belgrade, MT about 200 miles out of my way. When I said no. Their solution was then to get my bike take it to Idaho Falls and put it in an impound yard until the dealership opened. They told me I would have to pay for the storage of the bike. Of course the dealership would not be open until Tuesday after the holiday. This went on for about 45 minutes on the side of the road in the middle of no where with a broke bike. I finally had enough and said no.
I have back up insurance called another tow, but ended up paying extra mileage to the tune of $120 out of my pocket to get my bike to Idaho Falls. I had family member bring a trailer up to get me back to Salt Lake that night.
Really disappointed in HOG. I called and raised hell with them today. They said they are sending me out forms to file a complaint and possible payment for the tow I paid for. I still don't believe I should have gone through that in the first place. Makes you wonder. My bike, should be my choice which dealership it goes to and not 200-300 miles the opposite direction I'm going. Glad I had a back up insurance.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

i believe it says in the literature, 'tow to the closest dealer'..... not 100% sure on that anymore as i let my hog lapse a long time ago due to sitting on the side of the road for over 6 hrs.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:01 PM
we_brown
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used HOG towing on Monday. Called, they asked permission to track my phone, confirmed my location, advised me they would cover up to $100, and would call back with estimated arrival of tow. 10 minutes later they called with a time and a dealership that was open. Tow arrived 30 minutes later. No problems. I guess it depends on where you break down. No complaints on this breakdown.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

They WOULDN'T tow it to the closed dealer or you/they didn't WANT to? Why not tow it to the closed dealer and just park it there until Tuesday? Unless its in the ghetto I think a bike would be relatively safe in the parking lot. Otherwise tow it somewhere close where it will be safe and then have the dealer pick it up when they were open.

When I broke down a year or so ago with my old bike they would basically tow it any where I wanted.. didn't need to be a dealer.. I had them tow it to my indy mechanic.. He was open at the time though. I don't think the tow truck driver would give a **** where he drops it off, you wanted to tow it to a McDonald's they would do it.. why should they care?

Basically all the HOG folks told me is they will pay up to $100 or whatever it was.. They sent a guy out, he asked where i wanted to go. Seems like someone was complicating things a bit but it can be stressful when you are stuck on the road.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:32 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by we_brown
I used HOG towing on Monday. Called, they asked permission to track my phone, confirmed my location, advised me they would cover up to $100, and would call back with estimated arrival of tow. 10 minutes later they called with a time and a dealership that was open. Tow arrived 30 minutes later. No problems. I guess it depends on where you break down. No complaints on this breakdown.
+1

HOG isn't the one coming to tow you.
All they can do is call around to "local" towing operators that are equipped to handle a motorcycle.

I had a flat once on a Sunday morning in a very remote area.
HOG did their best and called me back about every 15 minutes letting me know they were still trying to locate someone.
I finally called the dealer I purchased the bike from (about 70 miles from where I was at), and one of their service techs came and got me.

Can't really fault HOG on that, as they tried.
On a Sunday morning in this location there just wasn't much available that could handle a motorcycle.

PS: I now carry a tire repair kit with me.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:35 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

I broke down about 4 years ago , the Insurance pays to the closest Dealer, When the Tow should up he said that dealer is Closed , I said that's ok I'm takin it home , gave him 20 Bucks and we unloaded at my house . It was about a 40 miles Tow, only a short distance past the Dealer.