General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield vs. fairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:50 PM
jasonbum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default windshield vs. fairing

I'm looking for a solution to buffeting problem on 2005 Dyna SG. I installed slipstreamer spitfire and tried it with my new modular helmet (great helmet=AFX). The buffeting got real bad above 55-60 mph- head almost vibrating right off. Also does this with glasses if using half helmet.
I am 5'8" with 30" inseam. What is the answer?
I like the idea (and look) of the quarter fairing. So many choices between HD, dead center speed freak, memphis shades gauntlet, Ness. I would need the hardware as well and would like to not spend a fortune.
Also heard about Klock werks billboard as a good option to go the windshield route- still need hardware
Real world performance on the highway is the issue- Buffeting sucks. What also sucks is bugs, sand, rocks, etc.
Also don't want to be looking through the windshield.
I sound like I am menstruating over here, but maybe some of you have tried these options.... Thanks

Old 05-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya. My model is diff. I've a fxstc. No fairing, just the intermediate size windscreen. At 6'1" I do see over it, prolly too much. I had a 91 fxrsp, which had small police fairing on it. Tall windshield though--had to look through it. On that bike I went with large windscreen which was just right. My line of sight was just over it--which was perfect.

In short, if you want to minimize wind blast it needs to be where your eyes just look over it. Im looking to change out mine now. Looks great, but really needs to be taller. I'm not a fan of the wind blast in my eyes, or bugs smacking my face. Find the screen that you can just barely see over and it'll eliminate all that.

I swear I had a bug so big smack my forehead this last weekend that it nearly knocked me out. LOL.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 PM
jasonbum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, bugs are out early it seems. That mounting hardware costs as much as the fairings or shields

Old 05-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember it's the wind coming from under the windscreen that's causing buffeting. Mine was real bad as well. I changed my seat which moved me a bit taller and forward and that really helped. It wasn't after that specifically it just happend when I changed to my springer seat. When you ride put your arm across your chest and your head will calm. I don't have the answer because we all sit different so hopefully something will work.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:27 AM
BC72067
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was young I wouldn't have been caught dead with a windshield or fairing on a bike. The older I get the more the bugs hurt my face. My RoadKing has a windshield cut to set back into the apes. I am not a fan of fairings. My WideGlige has nothing.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 AM
markdouthwaite
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A bit like the right seat / bar combination this is a tricky one that's a little bit hit and miss. As has already been stated a lot of the buffeting is coming from wind hitting the forks and being channelled up around the sides of the tank. Try (safely!) riding at a speed where you notice the problem and put your hand, palm down, level with the top of your tank. You'll feel it.

I'd try fork mounted wind deflectors first (I presume they do a Dyna fitment) as it's a relatively cheap option. If that doesn't sort it then look at a new shield.

The deflectors combined with a Cee Bailey's screen (same dimensions as stock) transformed my Road King ride.

Good luck.

M.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

National Cycle Flyscreen - blocks 85% of the wind and nooooo buffeting at all. cheap too.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

Try a recurve windshield from Clearview shields. It has a little flip that sends the wind over your head. However, as others have said, much of it comes from below. I found a different helmet helped. Seemed like the wind was catching the chin protector and making it worse. Also, forward pegs help because my leg position breaks some of it up. Now I can do 70-75 mph with no problem.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer

Now you all have me thinking a taller screen might not solve it. I'm still thinking that an inch taller screen would send most air and bugs over instead of hitting my face.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Height of the windshield is just part of the equation. Try adjusting the angle of it if you can. The tallest windshield in the world won't do the job if it isn't adjusted properly. I had a small sport windshield on my Dyna and it did the job just as well as the large windshield on my Roadking. It was all in adjusting it to the proper angle. It took a few adjustments before I got it to the right angle for me, but eventually I got it right and my head stayed still at any speed I traveled.

Quick Reply: windshield vs. fairing