General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM
makroftar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip!

Hey guys, I am going on a roadtrip! I haven't been on one for ages, I am excited. So, anyway, I am going to visit my family but I realised today I don't have luggage! You can imagine how long it has been since last travel.
I hope you travel more and that you can help me now.
What do you use? I mean, which lugagge? Hard case or soft one? Is Samsonite still good brand?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM
acfetber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by makroftar
Hey guys, I am going on a roadtrip! I haven't been on one for ages, I am excited. So, anyway, I am going to visit my family but I realised today I don't have luggage! You can imagine how long it has been since last travel.
I hope you travel more and that you can help me now.
What do you use? I mean, which lugagge? Hard case or soft one? Is Samsonite still good brand?
are you taking a bike? what kind.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 AM
AMathis
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a soft expandable T-Bag that has a round bag on top. It slips on the sissy bar. If we travel 2 up the bag rest on luggage rack. Going solo the bag is riding on the bitch seat acting as a back rest. A tip while packing put a trash bag as a inside liner the bag maybe water proof but rain seeps in through the zippers. They also work good for dirty cloths I usally pack 2. And few other ziplock bags of different sizes to keep stuff dry.. I would look for something designed for motorcycles as that would have the straps to secure it for the ride. The T-Bag and saddle bags I'm usally set for whats needed. Not sure of the bike you riding but thats how I roll on mine.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get something well built. My first set of bags were so cheap they came apart on a road trip. By the time I got home, I had my crap packed in grocery bags and the saddle bags duct taped together. That was the last time I bought leather gear in a Mexican boarder town. YMMV.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 AM
makroftar
2nd Gear

Unfortunatelly this time bike stays home :/ It is too complicated and too expensive to go with bike.

I asked on another forum similar question and they recommended me Briggs & Riley as very good brand and also TravelPro. Also, one guy gave me this site about best luggage brand with reviews, information about different luggage so I looked around. Anyway, I am thinking between TravelPro and that Briggs & Riley, do you know about them? What do you think, which one is better?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 AM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Briggs and Riley roll bag on trips and between that and a saddle bag I have plenty of room. On my Sporty I could do a four day trip with just the roll bag. It has held up nicely for over five years and came with a rain cover.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Briggs and Riley are what I have been using for years. Guaranteed for life. I have had mine repaired several times at no cost to me. I would go with B&R...

Old 05-30-2014, 11:50 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I travel for a living, buy the Briggs and Riley. The top 3 makers are Tumi, Hartmann and Briggs and Riley. All have life time warranty. Hartmann is old school, Tumi will have more pockets and style, the Briggs will cost 1/3 or either. I have full sets of each. I also have Delsey, Travel Pro and V Swiss stuff. I buy those at Macy's when I need an extra bag when headed home. I buy my wife Tumi, my 4 kids take the good stuff, my luggage has been to more countries than I have. The Travel pro is junk, the Ural of the luggage world. It is better than walmart luggage.

If going for carry-on buy regular wheels, no spinners. Buy international carry-on size, 22inch (not 24 ). For checked, max 24 inch, anything larger will weigh more than 50lbs packed and add $ at checkin. You do not need a suit pocket, or expansion, buy 22x14x9. Find the YouTube video on how to fold your suit jacket or blazer to avoid wrinkles (I carry mine like this on a bike all the time) the reason most bags are black is the same as black leathers. The bag looks the same after a few trips over the luggage belt. Hartmann is tan because dilligaf. A Hartmann bag with no skid marks denotes poser owner.

TLDR, buy the Briggs and Riley, 22 inch 2 wheeled carry-on

Happy trails