General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:39 AM
twitchcvma
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default exhaust questions

some newbie questions coming....y'all get ready
Lookin at a 2012 FLHX with 4300 miles on her. Stock everything
I know I will need an exhaust system...complete system? or just slip ons?
I rode Vance and Hines Long Shots on my '04 Road Star. They sounded great. Nice rumble at idle and slow speeds but twist the throttle and she let loose.
So I reckon this thread will be a lot like a tire or oil question, but which exhaust do y'all ride and like? which ones would you rather have if you could do it over? complete system? or slip ons?
And a bigger question...After the pipes I will need to get remapped, right?
This is all new to me. I will need to get an FI tuner, right? and then pay some one to tune her for me...
Help me out here.
thanks to all...really
I appreciate it
TwitchCVMA 3-1

Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

For me I like the sound of my Rush, Son also like then and installed them on his 10 Street glide when he bought it new.. we both went with 2'' baffs.

Son bought V&H's 2-1-2 headers on his, I just add the muffs on my stock headers..

only reason I'd ever change them is to get some 2-1's... I love the sound when they where new and I still do 47K miles later...

Old 05-28-2014, 08:28 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,200 Posts
Default Few things

In all honesty, ive never seen a bad set of pipes only bad installs of them. Ive had V&H and currently have Samsons. Loved both. I know theres differing views but I would do an intake at the same time. My 02.. heres why.. If you go full pipes, youre gonna need a power commander or equiv (think of it as a rejet of sorts). As long as your there, the intake is cheap and might as well do it all at once.

The PO of my bike ran V&Hs without a power commander and blued and browned the pipes in no time..

oh, go full pipes if you have the bread..

Old 05-28-2014, 08:44 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On my current bike, I went with Vance and Hines Straight Shot slip on's, I like the way they look and sound. they keep more of the stock look but adds more sound and better flow.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Bsh Plz
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running a de-catted head pipe and jackpot mufflers on my 13 SG. Sound is neighbor-friendly when idling in and out of my street and loud enough for my taste when romping on the open road.

Add an air cleaner and tune from someone like fuel moto at the same time as the exhaust and you'll be smiling.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchcvma
some newbie questions coming....y'all get ready
Lookin at a 2012 FLHX with 4300 miles on her. Stock everything
I know I will need an exhaust system...complete system? or just slip ons?
I rode Vance and Hines Long Shots on my '04 Road Star. They sounded great. Nice rumble at idle and slow speeds but twist the throttle and she let loose.
So I reckon this thread will be a lot like a tire or oil question, but which exhaust do y'all ride and like? which ones would you rather have if you could do it over? complete system? or slip ons?
And a bigger question...After the pipes I will need to get remapped, right?
This is all new to me. I will need to get an FI tuner, right? and then pay some one to tune her for me...
Help me out here.
thanks to all...really
I appreciate it
TwitchCVMA 3-1
Does the bike NEED an exhaust system or you PREFER a different exhaust system? I find it hard to believe a 2 year old bike needs a new exhaust.

Anyway, I would do a complete stage 1. As mentioned above FuelMoto was the go to source for me. I bought my complete stage 1 from them and the PowerVision came with the tune already loaded for my setup. A few runs with the autotune and I'm off to the races.

I believe if you just do slip-ons you don't need to tune but maybe another forum member can comment on that.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 PM
airborne96delta
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for my own education, this only matters if you increase the header diameter, correct? Or, depending on the set of pipes, is the change in airflow enough to worry about the added cost of remapping the ecm assuming all else is stock? I read on one site that simply adding some slip-ons required a remap. Another says that wrapping your head pipes is also enough of a change to lean it out. Is that correct?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 AM
twitchcvma
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcatnat
Does the bike NEED an exhaust system or you PREFER a different exhaust system? I find it hard to believe a 2 year old bike needs a new exhaust.

Anyway, I would do a complete stage 1. As mentioned above FuelMoto was the go to source for me. I bought my complete stage 1 from them and the PowerVision came with the tune already loaded for my setup. A few runs with the autotune and I'm off to the races.

I believe if you just do slip-ons you don't need to tune but maybe another forum member can comment on that.

Does the bike NEED a new exhaust? Absolutely not. But i've heard the stock exhaust on new HD's...pretty anemic. Sounds like they need some testosterone.
I thought one had to go to the shop or local HD specialty shop, buy the exhuast and the tuner there so they can get it dialed in. But i can buy a tuner with a tune already to go from fuel moto. Throw my pipes on, connect the tuner, throw the intake on and I am good?
Sounds good to me. this is all new to me. Thanks for the input

Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchcvma
Does the bike NEED a new exhaust? Absolutely not. But i've heard the stock exhaust on new HD's...pretty anemic. Sounds like they need some testosterone.
I thought one had to go to the shop or local HD specialty shop, buy the exhuast and the tuner there so they can get it dialed in. But i can buy a tuner with a tune already to go from fuel moto. Throw my pipes on, connect the tuner, throw the intake on and I am good?
Sounds good to me. this is all new to me. Thanks for the input
Exactly, it was new to me too and if you have any familiarity with tools you should be able to do it yourself. It took me about 4-5 hours to install my new pipes, intake and flash the tune but I took my time. I left the FuelMoto provided tune in place for many months before running the auto-tune but the auto-tune made a big difference and eliminated my minor popping on deceleration.

You have options with the tune, I went with a PowerVision but there are several others. There are a lot of resources here and many videos on YouTube that walk you through the various steps. I relied heavily on YouTube to make sure I didn't miss anything.

You could go your route and go to HD but I guarantee it will cost you twice as much at least.

Here is the content of the email I got from Brian at FuelMoto when I went through the process in 2011. I substituted the Big Sucker with a Sreamin' Eagle intake and it saved me about $25 or so.

Here is the pricing info you requested. This is a good stage 1 setup and will net you decent power gains. Typical gains will be 8-12 HP and 10-15lbs.-ft.

Power Vision - $499
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Chrome - $128
VH Big Radius 2-2 Chrome - $575

Total w/free shipping - $1202

Good luck, if you have any more questions ask away.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 AM
WebWolf
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 18 Posts

I would look at a good quality exhaust system, IMHO, loose the stock pipes to get rid of the cat. They run so hot and if you purchase a system that has a cross-over built in, it gives you the added feature of venturi action. The action essentially vacuums the exhaust gasses from the spent cylendar so more oxygen can be pulled into your engine. You will run cooler, more efficient and a nicer looking system. I run Reinhart mufflers, I like their sound.

Quick Reply: exhaust questions