General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip Ons vs Full Exhaust Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 AM
bikefxds
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Slip Ons vs Full Exhaust Replacement

I've had dozens of slip ons and as many exhaust replacements over the years. Wife has a new 2013 Softail Deluxe. I'd like to hear of some modern updates on what ya'll think is best...slip on mufflers or go for the full exhaust replacement. I always experience a bit of back fire on deceleration with just the slip ons. Really don't want to do any engine mods either(high flow kit or any of that stuff). Give me some brands you all have used and some opinions on them.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

I've had my Rush 2'' slip-ons since I put them on in 07 at the 1K service,, now with 47K I still have them on, still love the sound and they still look new.. Rush service after the sale is among the best.. They'll even send you new packing if you need it..

Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 AM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good thing about the softails is the cats are in the mufflers. So a set of slip on mufflers works great. A full exhuast system will more than likely need a tune but not just slip on's. I have the Rush with 1.75 baffles and am very happy with them. Very good quality mufflers.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Never really understood why someone buying a brand new Harley wouldn't want to make the motor run at its best but would rather just change the exhaust to make it sound like it is??

The HD Motors are running in a Lean Condition right off the showroom floor, lean creates heat which is not good for a air cooled motor.

The number One upgrade any new Harley should undergo is a Stage 1, Better flowing air intake, upgraded Better flowing exhaust and in my eyes a Tuner, this will allow more fuel to be injected helping to keep the motor on the cooler side, most new Tuners can adjust fuel flow in each gear and reset timing.

I understand everyone has an opinion when it comes to a Stage 1 but even Harley Davidson on their websites talk about the very lean condition on New Bikes.

Keep this in mind: if the new bike is not popping or back firing with the stock system but then you add a different exhaust and/or intake then it starts doing it, one would think that the motor is trying to tell you something. it is not normal!! So either do nothing that can lead to premature damage and array of costly problems down the road or fix it with a Stage 1.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:37 PM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ib5150
I understand everyone has an opinion when it comes to a Stage 1 but even Harley Davidson on their websites talk about the very lean condition on New Bikes.

Keep this in mind: if the new bike is not popping or back firing with the stock system but then you add a different exhaust and/or intake then it starts doing it, one would think that the motor is trying to tell you something. it is not normal!! So either do nothing that can lead to premature damage and array of costly problems down the road or fix it with a Stage 1.
The latest generation of HD ecm can adjust for slip on muffler changes without any damage to the engine. An entire exhaust system is another matter. This has been well documented to be true. Also popping in the exhaust might not mean anything. You cannot tune that out of some pipes no matter what you do. I am speaking from personal experience on this.