General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torsion springs on springer seat. Have you changed yours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion springs on springer seat. Have you changed yours?

I've got the HD springer seat which has really stiff torsion springs. Sure I can order a new set but not really sure what I would be getting, I could end up with the same stiff spring.

Have any of you changed the torsion springs for a bit of a softer ride and if so where did you get them and what size did you go with. I'm 180lbs and the current springs have little to no give.

Thanks -

Torsion springs..

Old 05-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped over from the torsion springs to the beehive type, but I didn't do it with a smoother ride in mind (it's a spring solo seat, I've accepted it) and I didn't notice much of a difference in smoothness anyway.

Only thing I could think that would make for a little smoother ride might be to go with extra long beehive or barrel springs. I think I've also seen air shocks for solo seats which are designed essentially the same way as the air shock you'd find on some springer forks. I'm sure a Google search will turn something up.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ratbike. It never really crossed my mind to change the springs until I met a guy and while talking bikes he mentioned changing the springs. Figured I would take a look into it. This seat is far better than the stock seat. I also feel vibration doesn't transfer through the springs like it does sitting directly on the frame (stock seat). In addition I get better airflow to my legs since the area of the seat is open. All around it's a better seat.