General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popped into the dearlership...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Dharma66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popped into the dearlership...

No, I didn't buy

Been browsing the Harley website, whilst trying to figure out what different approaches I can use to convince Mrs Dharma that we need a Harley. I noticed it said "Doesn't matter if you don't ride yet, pop into your local dealer for a chat".

So I did, but the only people in there were two girls who looked about 19, stayed put firmly behind the counter selling jewellery and branded dog jackets, gossiping and playing with their phones.

Maybe they would have known a lot about the bikes had I approached them, but they didn't even acknowledge my presence.

Spent about 15 minutes looking at the bikes on the shop floor, then decided to leave. Maybe hit the sales guys (or gals) break time, so I'll try again in a few days. Not great first contact with the moco, though.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Afrobaron
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should relay that to the manager when you go back in. Tell him you were there ready to start a deal and couldn't a single person willing to earn a commission.
Then tell him you came back only as a courtesy to him to let him know he needs some new staff. Then, proceed to walk out the mumbling something about the google and the next closest dealer.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:09 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

So my approach to the wife angle was to decide to pop into the local dealership on the way back from a meal at a restaurant, knowing full well that her bladder was full and she needed a pee.

"Oh no....I can't go pee in a greasy bike dealership" was the first opinion. I told her not to worry, it would be more like the BMW car dealership. We got there, she found the (spotless) bathroom, then got offered a coffee, then decided she quite liked the cool looking bikes.

No problem from then on in.

Can't say I ever had a problem with the sales staff. They've always been courteous, knowledgeable and attentive yet unobtrusive if you just want to window-shop. Stop by a bike too long though and they are at your side.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since the first day my wife met me I've had a bike and dragged her into dealerships to look at new models, get parts, or look around.

My wife was a pants suit and neatly kept skirt with heels girl when we met, now she wears leather and MoCo t-shirts we collect during our travels.

My advice is take her there, make her apart of the conversation and listen to her opinion. But in the end, buy the bike you want to ride, make her a nice place to sit on the back if she's so inclined, and encourage her to follow her dreams too.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:17 PM
pca911rs
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a dealership here in Connecticut that is notorious for that. Some people will still goto them because they can get a few hundred bucks off their bike there but for me personally I goto a different dealer that has always taken great care of me (since new ownership). There is always someone at the door who's only job it is, is to say hi and see what your there for and get you set up with the right person. I'd say shop around a bit to different dealers because it will end up being the place you have to get something fixed if it ever breaks and if they care that much about making a sale imagine how much they would (or wouldn't) care about fixing something under warranty.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

me personally, i don't like a salesman coming up to me if i'm just looking. if i have questions, i can open my mouth and ask.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:17 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharma66
So I did, but the only people in there were two girls who looked about 19, stayed put firmly behind the counter selling jewellery and branded dog jackets, gossiping and playing with their phones.

Maybe they would have known a lot about the bikes had I approached them, but they didn't even acknowledge my presence.

Spent about 15 minutes looking at the bikes on the shop floor, then decided to leave. Maybe hit the sales guys (or gals) break time, so I'll try again in a few days. Not great first contact with the moco, though.
The "moco" isn't your problem. Every dealer is an independently owned and operated business.
Your issues are with your local dealer owner.

The two girls you mention were very likely general merchandise sales staff and not bike sales persons.

Sometimes a dealer is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.
The next person might come in here and complain that they couldn't even look around without some sales person bothering them.

If you had questions and walked out without getting an answer, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Originally Posted by skratch
me personally, i don't like a salesman coming up to me if i'm just looking. if i have questions, i can open my mouth and ask.
This!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 PM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My gf (in my sig pic) works in the motorclothes dept at a local dealership.

I may be a bit biased, but I think anyone who walks into the dealership would agree...that she has the best personality of any of the girls working there.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
thats how I see it too. I find it annoying to have any sales guy, anywhere all over me. matter of fact I've send them away more often then not. I react to pressure negatively

Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

yea good luck with that . . . good for you she wasn't around in the 'old days' of Harley Dealerships, when they were colorful and full of 'characters' . . . . some of them I would rather pee in the bushes instead of their bathroom, but always enjoyed them. As John Lennon said "things ain't like they used to was". Personally I miss the old days when they were NOT like "BMW car dealerships".

Originally Posted by adm
So my approach to the wife angle was to decide to pop into the local dealership on the way back from a meal at a restaurant, knowing full well that her bladder was full and she needed a pee.

"Oh no....I can't go pee in a greasy bike dealership" was the first opinion. I told her not to worry, it would be more like the BMW car dealership. We got there, she found the (spotless) bathroom, then got offered a coffee, then decided she quite liked the cool looking bikes..

Last edited by NYC.streetkid; 05-29-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Popped into the dearlership...