General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 electra glide ultra questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:52 PM
twitchcvma
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2014 electra glide ultra questions

Was looking at the street glide. Now i am thinkin about the Ultra Classic. Seems to fit my wife's and my needs, wants, and desires much much better. I was lookin for comments from current owners of the 2013 -2014 electra glide ultra. are they better than the 2012's? any concerns when super slabbin'? We plan on a couple cross country tours this summer and i am just lookin for comments. i currently ride an '05 gold wing...it just ain't me. I miss the complete V Twin ride...
How do you y'all like the new Ultra? Does any one pull a trailer with the Ultra? If so how does it pull?
Thanks to all
Twitch

Old 05-30-2014, 12:01 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't own an Ultra, but I can say that the features on the 2014 bikes were good enough to get me to trade a very good 2011 Road King in for a 2014 Road King. I think you'd be very happy. But, it is my understanding that pulling a trailer will affect your warranty. Something to consider.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:16 AM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

The changes were in '14 (Rushmores), '11-'13 are about the same except for 96 ci to 103 ci. I bought an '11 Ultra Classic in November with 900 miles on it and it has around 8600 on it now. I'm very happy with it. It's exceeded my expectations. We've taken 1 long trip and 3 weekend trips. We have another 3 day trip planned for mid June and a week long trip for mid July. We can easily do 400-500 miles a day since it's so comfy. We bought it to tour on and that's what we try to do as much as work allows. We do day trips alot as well. The 96 has plenty of power and the 6 spd is great. For slab trips, the cruise works very good.

As far as the '11-13 vs '14, I think that's a personal choice. I'm happy with what I have, so I won't be buying a new bike.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:37 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Way back in '09 Was about to purchase Street Glide until Dealer and I negotiated 'Add-On Goodies' price. No brainer to begin with and ended purchasing an Ultra. Extremely glad I did so would you.

Can not speak for those years you mentioned above and have no experience in trailering myself. BTW, You know how it is every year Touring Bikes seems to get better than the previous years so I believe you'd be one happy owner on a new Ultra.

Good Luck,

Thorey

Old 05-30-2014, 08:08 AM
twitchcvma
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I don't own an Ultra, but I can say that the features on the 2014 bikes were good enough to get me to trade a very good 2011 Road King in for a 2014 Road King. I think you'd be very happy. But, it is my understanding that pulling a trailer will affect your warranty. Something to consider.
It will not only affect it. It will negate it. While talking to the the sales guy he said if it was a stereo issue, not a motor issue it would be no problem. The issue lies in the motor. But if you read the fine print, anything other than stock anything voids the warranty...even aftermarket pipes. The air cleaner. the tuner.
Going on a weeklong trip...it's hard to get that much stuff into 2 saddle bags and a tour pack. Hell, the wife takes so much stuff she takes up the entire trailer herself.
It's a Harley...these things don't break down...right?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are enouhg significant changes to warrant buying the 14 over the 13 if you're actually touring with it. The ergonomics are better your wife won't be rubbing her leg on the bag rails etc etc. I'd buy the limited version if I could justify the price wet head teething pains and all!

Old 05-31-2014, 05:15 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchcvma
Was looking at the street glide. Now i am thinkin about the Ultra Classic. Seems to fit my wife's and my needs, wants, and desires much much better. I was lookin for comments from current owners of the 2013 -2014 electra glide ultra. are they better than the 2012's? any concerns when super slabbin'? We plan on a couple cross country tours this summer and i am just lookin for comments. i currently ride an '05 gold wing...it just ain't me. I miss the complete V Twin ride...
How do you y'all like the new Ultra? Does any one pull a trailer with the Ultra? If so how does it pull?
Thanks to all
Twitch
Not like your Wing at all. The 14's are approaching your bikes performance but has a ways to go. That said, I enjoy thoroughly every ride on my limited and I did not on my 05 GW. And I like not having my duds fall out on the street when I open the saddlebags.

Mark

Old 05-31-2014, 09:51 PM
twitchcvma
Cruiser
Default 2014 Electra Glide Ultra

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
There are enouhg significant changes to warrant buying the 14 over the 13 if you're actually touring with it. The ergonomics are better your wife won't be rubbing her leg on the bag rails etc etc. I'd buy the limited version if I could justify the price wet head teething pains and all!

We bit the bullet and purchased the 2014 FLHTCU. We did look at a couple of older used models. You are so right about the bag rails. The ergonomics on this model are wonderful.
I will eventually do the stage 1. right now it feels like my old '97 Power Stroke diesel before the tuner. The dad gum truck couldn't get out of its own way. Put the tuner on her and WOW what a difference. the way I look at it I will really appreciate the difference in performance when I do get around to wakin' her up.
We bought her the 29th. We were the last ones there. I picked her up today (the 30th). Everybody was congratulating me. All I could think was "I spent how much on a bike?" They all said a few miles down the road and I wouldn't even care. I like it alot more than I did the Wing.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:58 PM
twitchcvma
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Not like your Wing at all. The 14's are approaching your bikes performance but has a ways to go. That said, I enjoy thoroughly every ride on my limited and I did not on my 05 GW. And I like not having my duds fall out on the street when I open the saddlebags.

Mark

Not just the saddle bags. I hated getting in and out of the trunk. I thought that was a real pain in the ***. i love harley's trunk. The Kawasaki Voyager was just like that. I also looked at that bike. Felt comfortable. My wife liked the passenger seat. When I asked if I could test ride it the sales guy said no problem...after I bought it. What if my wife didn't like it I asked. He said to just bring it back and they would work with me. You mean bring a used bike in and you would work with me.
I have a whopping 65 miles on her and I really like the way she handles. I do have a hard time with the shifting, though. Sounds like a minor car wreck.
I think she handles better than the wing...especially in tight corners.
Think I am really gonna like this Ultra.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchcvma
It will not only affect it. It will negate it. While talking to the the sales guy he said if it was a stereo issue, not a motor issue it would be no problem. The issue lies in the motor. But if you read the fine print, anything other than stock anything voids the warranty...even aftermarket pipes. The air cleaner. the tuner.
Going on a weeklong trip...it's hard to get that much stuff into 2 saddle bags and a tour pack. Hell, the wife takes so much stuff she takes up the entire trailer herself.
It's a Harley...these things don't break down...right?
A warranty cannot be "voided". How many times does this have to be discussed here for Christ sakes? If a sales guy is on the showroom floor telling you things like that you need to go to a different dealer.

Quick Reply: 2014 electra glide ultra questions