General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

european programming (??) for 2003 softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Imitsd
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default european programming (??) for 2003 softail

hi yall,
i just recently sent my 2003 anniversary softail standard over to Europe. as part of their inspection process, the Tuf (inspectors) are wanting to reprogram (im assuming ECM) with a European program. i guess its better for them to get results for emissions or something?
does anyone have any experience in what this may be or how to perform it?
Im an ex IT guy so if its burning an EPROM or something id like to hear about it.
thanks!!

Old 05-30-2014, 12:59 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Imitsd
hi yall,
i just recently sent my 2003 anniversary softail standard over to Europe. as part of their inspection process, the Tuf (inspectors) are wanting to reprogram (im assuming ECM) with a European program. i guess its better for them to get results for emissions or something?
does anyone have any experience in what this may be or how to perform it?
Im an ex IT guy so if its burning an EPROM or something id like to hear about it.
thanks!!
That's just exactly what reprogramming the ECM is: re-burning an EPROM (or some other reprogrammable memory) in the unit. That's all the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner does when you do it yourself, and is what Harley does when they dyno your ride.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:19 PM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a tuner already? Which one? Have you changed out the AC or pipes? If you have already got them, or plan to get them, then you could reprogram it yourself and then retune after the approval.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Imitsd
Stage IV

thanks for the replies so far.
This is a stock screaming eagle package from Harley, so i dont own a tuner or anything. im looking to put stock pipes back on (replace screaming eagles) and reprogram the ECM to european. looking for the cheapest route.
HArley dealer in Germany quoted 1200...i hope he didnt understand me broken german response but the skid mark probably left a message.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Imitsd
Stage IV

apparently its "too loud" for Germans... go figure. I remember a shiz ton of loudness from them a while back thats the reasoning behind pipe replacement. but the reprogramming is something to do with the ECM outputting in i dont know, euros or something trying to get a German title

Old 05-30-2014, 01:45 PM
peg20
Road Master

That price doesn't sound right at all. Have you got the stock pipes? Import the SE pipes anyway -- you can't buy them in Europe any more and you'll easily find a European buyer that will offer an as-new price.

I would have thought a simple ECM flash would be pretty cheap (I'm guessing, but I'd say <$100) so if they want more than say $200, you'd probably be best off buying your own tuner so you can use it for getting the performance back after you've crippled it for the tests.

If you haven't already got a tuner, then (IMO) TTS Mastertune is the best flash tuner at the moment. DynoJet PowerVision is probably the most user-friendly. But I'm basing that opinion on a more modern bike. So check first to see what models work with your year.

In which country are you going to end up? If Germany, then you'll definitely need stock pipes (or at least something very quiet) due to their strict enforcement of noise restrictions. Otherwise, Germany might not be the best place to get it tested.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:46 PM
peg20
Road Master

Another question; what's the price difference between the import and related paperwork etc in Europe and just selling in US/buying similar in Europe? I can't really imagine the saving is worth the effort, is it?

Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Imitsd
Stage IV

was gonna grab the pipes off ebay and bring them back w me on the next trip..How would i obtain the stock programming for the eprom? again, im guessing theres a different "euro" program thats something besides knocking down emissions,
The bike is already there, so bringing back and selling would suck, but certainly less expesive than 1200 bucks

Old 05-31-2014, 05:52 AM
goo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe ya needa get a power commander. IDK

Old 05-31-2014, 05:57 AM
peg20
Road Master

A power commander will not flash the ECM. It is a piggyback tuner

Quick Reply: european programming (??) for 2003 softail