General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, is that guy gonna stop....er, no!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 PM
alii1959
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey, is that guy gonna stop....er, no!!

Today, on the way home from work, I was stopped at a red light watching traffic and checking my six. Suddenly, I noticed a blue BMW barreling down on me from behind. It seemed to be going rather quickly. I wondered if it was going to be able to stop. Traffic ahead was not real heavy, but too heavy to run the light. I eased forward a bit. He kept coming. I eased forward some more. He kept coming.

Just as the vehicle impacted the bike I pulled forward a bit more to lessen the blow a bit.

My first thought was, "so thats what it feels like to be hit by a car..." Fortunately, I never place myself in the middle of the lane and was in the left wheel track. Thus, he hit the railing at the rear of my right saddlebag. Don't know how, but I didn't go down nor did I rocket into the traffic in front of me (I was the only one at the light at the time, well before the Bimmer showed up anyway).

I put the kickstand down. Took off my helmet. Yelled a few choice words at the idiot emerging from the SUV. It was a 23 y/o male. I am not sure what he was doing, but he wasn't paying attention. He was very polite. Profusely apologized and handed me his license and registration. I took pics. Called 911. He then set about rummaging around looking for his insurance information.

About that time a man in a truck pulled up and called the kid a few choice names too. He stated that the kid must be an idiot not to notice my Hi-Viz orange jacket and ugly yeller helmet. The kid then approached the truck and punched the guy in the face. Then he jumped in the BMW, back up rapidly, and bugged out.

The cops arrived shortly after that, took statements, asked a bunch of questions, and filed the report. They caught the kid not far away and were field testing him for sobriety.

As for me, I have a deep bruise on my right calf. Hands are a bit sore. Sore neck. Otherwise, I seem to be just fine.

My beloved RKC has a dented rail around the right saddlebag. Otherwise, she seems fine too. But, I am going to take her to the Harley store Friday to have her checked out.

Lessons: My habit of staying in one wheel track or the other at lights seems to be a sound strategy. If I hadn't been he would have hit me with more than a glancing blow. My habit of checking my six constantly gave me some time to use the "wiggle" room I had left myself.

I am fortunate that he managed a slight movement to the right and was slowing somewhat for the light or this probably would have been worse. I should have taken a picture of his car, before he got away. I left my bike too long in the street before moving it.

My constant reading motorcycle survival strategies, including this website, is paying dividends. I have learned to leave enough space to ease forward, if necessary without hitting the car in front or crossing into traffic. Had I been all the way forward, I would have been punted into the path of the traffic.

All I have to say to you all: keep an eye on your SIX. Be forever vigilant. Keep the rubber side down guys.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Did he have a cell phone in his hand when he got out of the car?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you are alright. I bet he was texting. If he was so polite to you, I wonder why he felt the need to assault the other driver and drive off before the cops arrived. He went from being in zero trouble over an accident (except perhaps a texting while driving fine) to committing two felonies. Just stupid, even if he was being provoked by other driver.

Your defensive rider skills definitely paid off. I always do what I was taught, which is what you did...leave yourself a LOT of room between you and the car in front or the intersection, stay to the side of the lanes and give yourself an out. Keep your right hand on the throttle, left foot down, and right foot on the brake, ready to take off if the worst should happen. I do this at every stop until I have more than a few cars stacked up behind me. Fortunately, I have yet to need to employ an escape.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Glad it wasn't worse for you. Every situation is different and you made the best of this one. Could have been real nasty. This is the reason I don't pop into neutral right away, although I will if a car is already stopped behind me, or none in sight.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know if you've taken the MSF, but IIRC, they teach you to do as you did. That and to not get close enough to the car infront of you if you're at a stop so that you have an avenue of escape should you find yourself in that situation. Hindsight and all, but always make sure you have an escape route.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:46 PM
dhking
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing that story. Sounds like some good defensive riding tips.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Glad you made it out okay! I've watched my mirrors since I've been on here because if stories like this.

One thing...BMW driver+getting rear ended=$$$$$ in my book.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
Glad it wasn't worse for you. Every situation is different and you made the best of this one. Could have been real nasty. This is the reason I don't pop into neutral right away, although I will if a car is already stopped behind me, or none in sight.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

One word, LAWYER... NOW!!!

O.K. two words, but do it!

Old 05-30-2014, 05:26 PM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Glad you are well and hopefully bike will be too.

Quick Reply: Hey, is that guy gonna stop....er, no!!