General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of riding do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts
Default What type of riding do you prefer?

There are many options, like being at the optometrist...."Which is better, 1 or 2...1 or 2....2 or 3...2...or...3?" Oh, am I out of ADD meds again?

Anyhow...I live in Colorado and am blessed to have many options for riding.

I am just east of I25 which is the flat lands, the prairie. Many 2 lane highways to travel, while not much on the scenic side, it is open range "as far as the eye can see" for most of the eastern plains.

We have big city riding, whether through Denver on I25 or the city streets. Or even not-so-big city riding through Fort Collins or Boulder.

I am less than 2 miles east of I25 so I have the option of high speed interstate riding up to Wyoming or catching I76 to Nebraska.

Of course, there is the mountain riding, which is breath taking. There is nothing quite like the ride up Hwy 34 between Loveland and Estes Park, or other routes (Hwy 36, Hwy 7) to Estes (US 36 is currently being rebuilt in sections due to the floods last year). There is nothing quite like the echo of your pipes in the canyon of Hwy 34, or dropping into Estes Park on Hwy 36. You can't buy that...not with any kind of money. I plan to ride the Peak-to-Peak trial/Hwy this summer. Riding through the mountains is slow and scenic. You can go through Rocky Mountain National Park and get to the other side of the rockies. Beware! It can be freezing in July on Trail Ridge Road if you decide to go that way.

Lots of options....but i think my preferred riding is the 2 lane type. I have taken US 287 from Fort Compton...errr, Fort Collins to Wyoming, before turning around because I was ignorant of the helmet law...which turns out to be no requirement, but that was on my first HD, a 1990 Fatboy, years before I had a smart phone and 4G (oh, there is that ADD thing cropping up again). And I have taken Hwy 34 east from Loveland to Greeley, then north on Hwy 85 to Cheyenne, then west on the interstate toward Laramie. I like that riding because it is open and you can cruise along at 65 or so, feet on the highway pegs, music play (if you are so equipped) and not as much of the "heading to the big city" feeling I get when on the interstate.

in what seems like a previous life, I rode a Yamaha something or other from Mayport/Atlantic Beach, to St Augustine and back a time or two. A1A is very scenic!

Anyhow, what kind of riding do you other folks like to do? What is available in your area?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Country back roads of Northeast Maryland or Southeast PA, along which which we have the added bonus of slalom weaves around the horse turds from the Amish buggies.

Hard to believe in 2014 we still have folks riding around in horse-drawn cages, but here it's normal everyday life!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I'll take the Colorado Rockies any day.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:53 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Mixture of twisties, small towns and the Autobahn. I love finishing a ride on the highway. Cars blowing by you at 150mph is exhilarating. Lol

Old 05-31-2014, 10:53 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in the the flat lands of KS. and think nothing of riding for eight hours to find some hills worth riding through.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in VA lots of well maintained roads up near the mountains, in the country, different elevations, tons of scenery. It's a great area to ride and you're able to just leave the house and get caught up for hours on some great routes and sights.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

I live in northern California , I mean come I have every kind of road or scenery imaginable within a few hours ride from me . Life is good .

Old 05-31-2014, 11:40 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on the northern edge of the Ozark Mtns. I also have several options. A ride to the south puts me in some of the ozarks finest twisty roads and mtn/hills. A short ride to the west I have the plains of Kansas & Oklahoma.A short ride east and I have the Mississippi delta.Just to the north I have the Missouri lakes and rolling hills.

That said, I take the southern ride the most.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:50 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Here in eastern MA, there are wonderful old country lanes that have been there for centuries and run through picturesque towns, mountain rides (our kind of mountains) in western MA or NH, or even coast rides down the cape.....just wish it was a tad warmer.

I don't do many highways, as I'm just not in that much of a hurry......

ride safe.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:00 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Roads...I like straight with some curves but not "twisties". My wife likes them but I don't.
Scenery...mountains.
Towns...I try to avoid big cities because of the goofballs and traffic

Quick Reply: What type of riding do you prefer?