General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 PM
papapuskit1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Chain

Ordering a new primary chain, it has 41 links, but it the double chain, so do I need to order the 82 link replacement? I have a rigid frame, evo motor and a 4spd tranny, it doesn't have a chain adjuster in it, can I put one in it or do I have to buy a new system with it already in it? Thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 12:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

There's 2 primary chains , one shorter for the FXR close primary system . If you have the the more common setup it with standard sprockets it should be the 82 link chain .

Old 05-31-2014, 01:05 PM
papapuskit1
Novice

Thanks I'm new to the older bikes, always had new ones. The chain that was on it would rub the bottom of the primary case it had so much slack, I don't know if it was stretched that bad or needs to be adjusted, had a link busted. Can you adjust the tranny to get the slack out?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:10 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Not unless it's an open primary you can't and then all bets are off as to which chain you need . Use Photobucket or another online picture service to post a shot or 2 of your primary & gut and I can steer you the right way for what you have . At this point without eyes on it's guess work and yours is a custom build it sounds like .

Old 05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
papapuskit1
Novice

Old 05-31-2014, 01:50 PM
papapuskit1
Novice

Old 05-31-2014, 01:53 PM
papapuskit1
Novice

It's supposedly a 49 Pan frame, the tank, fenders and frontend is, rims, but it has the EVO motor in it. Thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 02:00 PM
papapuskit1
Novice

Kick start

Old 05-31-2014, 02:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Yup somebody went old school on you , LOL . Ok here's the the drill with what you have , yes with the old tin inner cover like that you'll be lubing and adjusting the chain real regular like weekly if you ride it much and get your head around it leaking oil like the Valdez . You will have to do the adjusting by shifting tranny and the trick is keeping it square if the builder didn't use the old jack screws on the mounting plate . Chain tension should be 3/4" up down play but they tend to get sloppy quick as they run dry fast , that's why you had links missing and it was hitting . You already know it's gonna be noisier that a nagging wife ..........

From here I'd count the teeth on both front & rear sprockets then move the tranny forward as far it goes then measure center to center on both the motor & tranny shafts to get the distance between and then look on Baker Transmissions web site for info , they sell 6 different length primary chains and can tell you how to determine which you need . Mark from Baker is a sponsor in this forum and the guys are over the top helpful .

Hope this helps partner , good luck .

Old 05-31-2014, 02:31 PM
papapuskit1
Novice

It had no oil in it, no way it could have held oil in it. Would it be better to replace the covers so it will hold oil? How much oil should be in it? Thanks for all your help. I only paid $2300 for the bike and it runs good.

Quick Reply: Primary Chain