General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for dealer to split cases?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:07 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Time for dealer to split cases?

I took my wide glide in today after noticing oil in between the rear cylinder and transmission top cover. I fired it up and went for a ride to warm the oil up and see where it was actually coming from. It seems to be coming from where the cases meet. I know it's not off the rear cylinder base because it's completely dry and I could see a small puddle where the cases meet. I won't hear back from the dealer until Tuesday but was hoping someone here could give me a rough estimate of how long it would take harley to split the cases and re seal that area. I wouldn't imagine they could fix that leak without opening it up.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:29 PM
agove
Road Captain

Not my picture but this is the exact spot mines leaking.

Time for dealer to split cases?-image-1857623482.jpg

Old 05-31-2014, 09:54 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

2 years ago I had a leak there and underneath the engine on my 2006 FLHTCi. It turned out to be the case seal leaking. Had to remove the engine and split the cases to fix. Bike was down 4 weeks. 2 months later stator went south, down another week. 2 weeks later back in to replace stator and rotor, down 2 more weeks due to rotor being back ordered. All work done under ESP....

Trucky911

Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I notice a wetness between my cases in the same spot on the way to Daytona a couple years ago. Brought it to my dealer when I got home & they said it was leaking between the cases. Really just a weep; never even formed 1 drop coming from Daytona. I was gonna live with it, as I weighed the option of a slight weep VS. having the cases split & put back together. Service writer convinced me to leave it & have it repaired since it was under ESP. It was back together & running perfectly, upgraded with a SE comp & no leaks, 4 days after I dropped it off.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 AM
agove
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dickey
I notice a wetness between my cases in the same spot on the way to Daytona a couple years ago. Brought it to my dealer when I got home & they said it was leaking between the cases. Really just a weep; never even formed 1 drop coming from Daytona. I was gonna live with it, as I weighed the option of a slight weep VS. having the cases split & put back together. Service writer convinced me to leave it & have it repaired since it was under ESP. It was back together & running perfectly, upgraded with a SE comp & no leaks, 4 days after I dropped it off.
Wow that's a really fast turn around. I was expecting more of what trucky911 said it took for them to split his. I probably wouldn't have brought it to the dealer if it was just a little bit, but there was a little puddle of oil sitting on too of the cases after I rode it to see where it was coming from.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:36 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My Fat Boy had a "weep" at the pry point between the cases. Took it to the dealer on a Monday, they had to split the cases to re-seal, and I had the bike back by Friday. This was fixed under warranty and it never leaked again.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:00 AM
agove
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HazyHog
My Fat Boy had a "weep" at the pry point between the cases. Took it to the dealer on a Monday, they had to split the cases to re-seal, and I had the bike back by Friday. This was fixed under warranty and it never leaked again.
I really hope i get a turn around like you guys did. Mine is still under warranty for 2 months. I'm glad I caught it now rather than when my warranty expired.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:12 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

I've got the bright silver case on my 02 and I guess I've learned to live with it. I just wash it of with brake cleaner and soapy water when whenever the bike gets a wash.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:40 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

So what I'm picking with all these problem threads is these new bikes aren't that much better than the AMF days everyone loves to hate on . It's a harley **** happens ...........

Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

All depends upon if the parts are good to go and the tech is scheduled. I think the actual job only takes a few days if they are focused.
Mine was in for about 3 weeks but with my always good luck, the techs wife had a baby and he was off for a week. Let them have the time to fix it right.

Attached Thumbnails Time for dealer to split cases?-dscn3697.jpg   Time for dealer to split cases?-dscn3698.jpg   Time for dealer to split cases?-dscn3699.jpg  

Quick Reply: Time for dealer to split cases?