General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling on eBay

Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 AM
UnknownUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling on eBay

My last two auctions for HD accessories have gone very well. With my last auction I listed a pair of chrome/rubber Nostalgic floorboard inserts with matching brake pedal, used but in good condition. I set my starting price at $69. HD's listed new cost is $150. The winning bid was $145 plus $10 shipping. So for $5 more the buyer could have bought new ones and saved on shipping. The buyer lived closed to a dealer. I think part of it with some people is the thrill of winning an auction. In my last case I had 5 bidders with 2 of them duking it out at the end. Anyone else have similar experiences with selling HD parts/accessories on eBay?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 636 Posts

Yup. Happens all the time. People don't do any research and think EBay has all these golden deals, then get caught up in the bidding.

"One born every minute" comes to mind.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Talking

At the opposite end there are deals to be had. Particularly in the seat department. I picked up a Signature Series seat for less than half the price. I wasn't sure I was gonna like it but at that price it was worth the gamble.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:51 AM
UnknownUser
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Yup. Happens all the time. People don't do any research and think EBay has all these golden deals, then get caught up in the bidding.

"One born every minute" comes to mind.
Yes, not doing research or doing it too quickly is what I think happened here. The inserts for the crescent boards are $50 more and come up first on HD.com, so the buyer saw that price and thought he was getting a deal. I always list a lot of pictures, point out any damages and include the part# so there is no question. I feel bad for buyers that over pay but you can only do so much hand holding. On the positive side the money I received goes for more HD accessories for me!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:53 AM
UnknownUser
Banned

Originally Posted by Sleeko
At the opposite end there are deals to be had. Particularly in the seat department. I picked up a Signature Series seat for less than half the price. I wasn't sure I was gonna like it but at that price it was worth the gamble.
Yep absolutely! And if you decide you don't like it you can turn around and sell it at a possible profit!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 AM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Too funny. I was thinking about this because I but and sell a lot on eBay. However I was following an auction for a road king fender skirt (new) with retail of $59.95 and could be had at a Surdyke for about $47 or so............ It sold for $90 and $10 shipping. I just shake my head. I also saw a riders touring backrest mount sell for $15 more than the dealer charges.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 AM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,871 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Some of it is time too...

Unfortunately I don't have the time to run to a dealer during the week, they seem to all be closed on Sundays (and some on Monday) and what free time I do have on the weekend, shopping is not on the list.

I can buy stuff on line during the week, or at night and have it shipped to my home. If it cost me an extra $10....but I save an hour of time, it's well worth it

I'll add that I rarely "bid" on things on ebay. I usually find a buy it now, of buy something here (I just bought a backrest from someone here, that if I shopped or bid could have probably save $25. But it's here and installed in less time than waiting to find a time to get one)

I'm at a point in my life, with 2 kids and a demanding job that I find myself with more money than time. That's to say, I don't have a lot of money, I just have less time

Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I've sold Harley parts on EBay, one thing I did learn is I setup my Auctions to end on a Sunday evening.
I like it when I have about 5 or more watchers, the smart ones won't bid till there are about 10 sec left, seen bids come in with 2 sec left and I've sold items that would have been cheaper just to go to the dealer and buy them.
When I want an item really bad I do the same thing, I will put the item on my watch list and not bid till there are 3 sec left and make sure I bid high enough to get the item, also taking into account the shipping and the bid so I don't over pay.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:27 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by oldwarrior
Yes I've sold Harley parts on EBay, one thing I did learn is I setup my Auctions to end on a Sunday evening.
I like it when I have about 5 or more watchers, the smart ones won't bid till there are about 10 sec left, seen bids come in with 2 sec left and I've sold items that would have been cheaper just to go to the dealer and buy them.
When I want an item really bad I do the same thing, I will put the item on my watch list and not bid till there are 3 sec left and make sure I bid high enough to get the item, also taking into account the shipping and the bid so I don't over pay.
Most are using a snipe program-as in "EZ snipe" or such. No need to sit at the 'puter till the auction ends,just let your software do the work.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 PM
UnknownUser
Banned

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Most are using a snipe program-as in "EZ snipe" or such. No need to sit at the 'puter till the auction ends,just let your software do the work.
I don't think eBay should allow automated software to bid. But that's just me. I guess if you can do it then go for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Selling on eBay