General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total cost of ownership in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Dharma66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total cost of ownership in the UK

So, you may have heard my whining on a couple of threads about the fact I don't have a Harley, in fact don't even ride.

So yes, I'm a 47 year old Johnny-come-lately wannabe.

But I really wannabe, and I'm working on making it happen.

One of the questions I have, inspired by another thread, is just how much it costs to run a Harley in the UK.

We have god-awful weather, and if I do this, I'm not going to be riding only on sunny, rain free days - because we only have a couple of dozen of those in Manchester in the best of years.

So I'll be riding in all weathers (except dangerous conditions if course).

Having owned a TVR as my daily driver, I know this can take it's toll on vehicles that are not really designed with that kind if use in mind...

So, let's assume I pass my Direct Access, and get myself a new 883, with the intention of putting about 10k miles per year onto it.

What should I reasonably expect to pay for servicing. Are there any 'oh yeah, that'll happen' things I should know about that will cause added expense? I wish I'd asked this about TVR ownership before diving in - the joke goes that it stands for "Tow Vehicle Required", and yes, I got towed about a dozen times in three years of driving.

Later on, when I found a TVR forum, everyone said "Oh yeah, you should expect to be off the road about three months of the year...".

Any unspoken gotchas like that with Harley's?

Any big service items? Parts known to fail? Parts susceptible to bad weather? Complications with seeming simple operations that make them seriously expensive. I'm not any kind of mechanic, and would rather pay some one to do it right than worry about the wheels falling off because I put them on...

As I said, I'm thinking about 883 or SuoerLow for my first foray.

Any heads - ups, indicative costs etc for the UK greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:42 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Insurance in Manchester without prior riding experience and no NCB is going to hurt. Join the HDRCGB; the discounts you get on insurance alone are worth the membership fee. Plus there's lots of useful info on their forums regarding suppliers and indy garages.

The most annoying thing for me re Harleys in the UK is that fact that I can't get imperial bolts etc. quite so readily and have to order in practically everything from the US

Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been riding a Road King in and out of London every day for three years or so. PLus the occasional tour to Jersey, the Peak District, the Yorkshire Dales etc etc

The bike has been as reliable as any motorcycle can be under those circumstances. In almost 37,000 miles the bike has worn out one set of tyres and a Drive belt.

With proper maintenance and a regular wash to remove potentially corrosive road grossness, a Harley will do very well.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

A Sportster if very reliable and would only need the fluids changed and tires ...other than that it looking and checking all the critical fasteners, lights and controls....simple enough....10000 miles a year, this bike will last you.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

This may give you some idea of servicing costs although its for Oxford Harleys, which is part of the blade group, I should imagine Manchester is similar.

http://www.bladegroupharleydavidson....-servicing.htm

As for insurance I've just renewed mine for an 06 Nightrain with Harley Davison insurance fully comp £205 which includes full valuation of the bike as specified by the dealer should the bike get nicked or written off, mind you I've been riding Harleys for over 20 years without so far claiming for anything, and I live in leafy Surrey not Manchester, alls you can do is ring up both Manchester Harleys for an accurate quote on servicing and insurance companies for a quote.

As said Sportsters are pretty reliable, arguably more so than the big twins, and personally I'd take a look at buying used,plenty of goods low mileage ones about.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Another thought might be best to post this in the Sportster forum, lot of Brits there with Sportsters over there.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

id say shop around unless ur buying new. steer clear of dealers for anything!!!! don't let them near your bike with a spanner or a cloth,don't buy leathers boots etc from em either use ebay or other blogs & forums.go independent for servicing.mostly its oil n filters which u can do at home...oh & they RUST!!! buy a bonnie

http://tonisglamourshack.blogspot.co.uk

Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lets see the TVR!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Dharma66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks guys. Sounds like there's no real surprises in store.

Thought I had TVR pics on Flokr, but it appears not. I'll pit a couple up later.

It was one of the old 'wedges'...