General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 PM
GaryM12
Road Warrior

Received 1,706 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Trailering Question

So I did a search and couldn't find anything. I am moving next week and its going to take 8 days to get to the new place. When I put the bikes on the trailer and crank down the straps compressing the shocks, is it a good idea to let the pressure off each night or can they stay cranked down for the whole 8 day trip?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's the constant up and down movement that changes the molecular structure of the metal in the springs and wears them out and makes them sag. You can leave them pressed down, BUT, the pressure you build up may not be good on your fork seals. Relieve the pressure and re-tighten the next day.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:37 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

When I trailer mine I dont compress the forks down all the way, I like to leave about 1" of bounce. To check it I sit on the bike, grap the bars and use my weight to push the front end down. I use one strap to lock the front wheel into the chock, the 2 straps I run from the tripple tree to the deck I put bungees on so if it recoils it wont disconnect the hooks on the ratchet straps. I also use 2 ratchet straps to secure the rear. My bike has been secured for a week or more on several occasions and I have never experienced any problems with blown seals or sag. I have had a couple of "Oh *****" after hitting some potholes but so far so good. Not too tight, not too loose

Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

It is so simple to strap around the axle with soft ties and then ratchet strap to the tie downs. Avoids pressure of the seals and the bike stays strapped solid.

I have done this for many years.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
When I trailer mine I dont compress the forks down all the way, I like to leave about 1" of bounce. To check it I sit on the bike, grap the bars and use my weight to push the front end down. I use one strap to lock the front wheel into the chock, the 2 straps I run from the tripple tree to the deck I put bungees on so if it recoils it wont disconnect the hooks on the ratchet straps. I also use 2 ratchet straps to secure the rear. My bike has been secured for a week or more on several occasions and I have never experienced any problems with blown seals or sag. I have had a couple of "Oh *****" after hitting some potholes but so far so good. Not too tight, not too loose
Exactly the way I do it as well. I also use 2 straps on each side in the front. Last time I trailered I hit a huge rain filled pothole that snapped a strap. Good thing that I had doubled up on straps.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:30 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I also partially compress the shocks but also bought a wheel chock as well.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

I put a board under the frame and tighten to that so that my shocks are not compressed. I also use a chock.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:04 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,241 Likes on 8,379 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
It is so simple to strap around the axle with soft ties and then ratchet strap to the tie downs. Avoids pressure of the seals and the bike stays strapped solid.

I have done this for many years.
, and I learned the hard way by having to replace fork seals and putting in new fork oil.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM
TennesseeJed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
I put a board under the frame and tighten to that so that my shocks are not compressed. I also use a chock.
....4"x6" oak block is what i use & BikePro chock. coast to coast, border to border & thru every pothole known to man & never had anything come loose,

Old 06-02-2014, 04:37 PM
NCBondsman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put microfiber towels around the axle, the run a strap on top of that and tie them down. Then I put soft straps around the crashbar/frame and compress slightly. Then one in the rear wheel to keep it from moving side to side. Did 2700 miles and it didn't move at all. Believe me I checked at every stop and was relieved to see it still standing. I also went down crappy I20 in Mississippi and Lousiana.

Quick Reply: Trailering Question