General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Because

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 PM
wookie214
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Because

sometimes poser/biker, clothes, what kind of t-shirt etc etc seems to be
a "hot " topic. I think this picture simplifies and brings perspective to the
whole HD Nation. Just enjoy the ride.

Attached Thumbnails Just Because-william-harley-arthur-davidson-1914.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Forward controls and beach bars...even back then.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:17 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,113 Likes on 11,090 Posts

Those early motorcyclists should be wearing bowties so the tie doesn't flap into their face.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:24 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

That photo has been making its way around. I have seen it posted on several sites where the posters claim it is William Harley and Arthur Davidson in 1914. The photo is actually of my cousin's grandfather (Lars Johnson) and Lars' brother. In 1914, they each purchased new Harleys and had this photo taken at a studio in Wanamingo, MN. (look at the pennant on the rear bike. It says Wanamingo.) My cousin has the original photo, which he scanned for me and I had it posted on the site below:

http://harley-davidson.oldcarandtruckpictures.com/

Cousin still has the original invoice for his grand father's bike. Here is a photo copy of it.

Attached Thumbnails Just Because-1914-harley-invoice-.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 06:48 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

http://harley-davidson.oldcarandtruckpictures.com/

A few years ago, I submitted that photo to the above site. Somebody has copied it and started claiming that it is William and Arthur. Go to the above site and check. Moral of the story - if you see it on the internet, it probably ain't true. What do you suppose the odds are that William and Arthur took a trip to Wanamingo, MN for this photo shoot???

Last edited by rh8234; 06-02-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Bocefus
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a cool pic

Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

I have several cool old pics. I'll post them here and see how long it takes someone to rename them and claim they are someone famous. LOL

First one is my dad on the left, his sister and my dad's sister's husband to be. Second and third ones are my dad. These were taken in summer of 1944 (I think) because it was shortly before dad left for the Navy. Kinda cool the way they dress for riding.

Attached Thumbnails Just Because-oldindian1-1-.jpg   Just Because-oldindian2-1-.jpg   Just Because-oldindian3-1-.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:11 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

I emailed my cousin (grandson of the dude in the OP's photo) and told him that the picture of his grand father has gone viral. Everyone thinks these dudes are William and Arthur. Here is the response I got from my cousin. Looks like whoever did this is providing a lot of entertainment and spreading a lot of false information.

Ross,

I did a Google search yesterday. This was my favorite result:

http://www.viralnova.com/rare-historical-photos/

I sent an email to the whole Johnson family. They all think it's hilarious. My dad wondered if there was someone we could call to get this straightened out. I'm not sure he believed me when I said that there is really nobody in charge of the Internet.

See you on Saturday.

Sent from Samsung tablet

Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 AM
wookie214
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
I emailed my cousin (grandson of the dude in the OP's photo) and told him that the picture of his grand father has gone viral. Everyone thinks these dudes are William and Arthur. Here is the response I got from my cousin. Looks like whoever did this is providing a lot of entertainment and spreading a lot of false information.

Ross,

I did a Google search yesterday. This was my favorite result:

http://www.viralnova.com/rare-historical-photos/

I sent an email to the whole Johnson family. They all think it's hilarious. My dad wondered if there was someone we could call to get this straightened out. I'm not sure he believed me when I said that there is really nobody in charge of the Internet.

See you on Saturday.

Sent from Samsung tablet

I think it's a great picture. Sorry if your relatives are not getting the
internet "credit". You might try calling Al Gore (father of the internet), I
believe he's the one in charge of the i-net.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Wookie214

It has nothing to do with anybody getting any credit. I just happen to know the true story about that photo, and I find it hilarious that people take photos off the internet and try to pass them off as something they are not. And even more hilarious that gullible people believe everything they see on the internet. Nobody (especially me) has been offended here - I am just trying to let people know that this photo is NOT William and Arthur. It is a couple Norwegian dudes that settled in southern MN in the early 1900's. They purchased the bikes. I posted their photo on a site related to historical HD's. Now somebody has tried to pass the photo off as something that it clearly IS NOT. I doubt you are the one that altered the file name and made the claim about this being William and Arthur because I have goggled this and have found dozens other sites with the same photo making the claim that is is William and Arthur. Simply stating the facts - IT AIN'T them. It's Lars Johnson and his brother.

Quick Reply: Just Because