General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 AM
TormentedH-D
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New rider questions

Hi guys,

I got my first street bike about a month ago. A 96 sportster 1200, I a great deal on it so I got it. Most of my riding was on small cc's dirt bikes. Not much of a difference from a mountain bike. I've rode some ninjas 250's and 300's with little issues, they're so light and neutral balanced they feel like bicycles. I've been trying to learn to ride this 1200. I'm slowly getting better, but I still don't feel confendent with it. I haven't taken the MSF yet, and I'm thinking of doing it. I'm starting too feel I bought too much bike. Going from 2-300 lbs bikes to a 550-600 lbs bike has been a bigger difference then I thought it would be. Has anyone else done the same jump? And how long before you got your confidences back? I'm not afraid of the bike, I respect the power it has. I know the MSF classes will help, and I'm headed that direction. I'm just hoping its new rider nerves, and not a case of "I bit off more then I can chew."

Old 06-03-2014, 01:17 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome.

You'll be fine. Highly recommend taking the MSF course ASAP. Just take it easy and relax, think about what you are doing, stay alert, and watch out for cagers.
You'll adapt soon enough, and before you know it you'll be totally confident. At that point it's important to not get cocky.
Stay safe and enjoy the ride!

Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Take the MSF class! You didn't buy too much bike, you just need to learn and apply what you learn on the road. It takes a little time. A female friend of mine just recently took the MSF class. She bought an old Kawasaki 500 and rode it for less than 200 miles before she went out to buy a 2012 Sportster Forty Eight (she's not a very patient girl) and she's doing fine. Before the Kawasaki she's never ridden a day in her life. She's putting some miles on that Sportster now, and she's getting better every day. She's a tiny girl too. Take the class and you'll feel much better about your choice of bikes. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As has been said before, take the MSF class, it will be the best $200 or so you'll ever spend. The other truism is that your comfort / confidence level will be in direct proportion to your hours in the saddle. Lastly, be sure that your Sportster is set up to be ergonomically comfortable for you. It's can be dangerous if you cannot easily reach the foot and hand controls without having to think about it. Over time, it should become second nature, an intuitive reaction and once again, that happens only through time in the saddle.

All things considered, Take your time and think it through.

"He Who Lives in Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 06-03-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:53 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take the class............

Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 AM
slimburns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the class, and spend time riding. I grew up on dirtbikes and it helped a great deal, but saddle time is really key...

Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree on taking the msf course. You will eventually get use to the weight of a heavier bike. In the mean time go find an empty parking lot and practice some slow speed maneuvers

Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As noted multiple times, take the MSF course.

I had never ridden any kind of motorcycle before taking the MSF course. Went from the little 250cc scooters at the MSF course to my 1200 Sportster the day after the class ended. First ride on the Sportster was ~250 miles. By the end of the day I was completely comfortable with the bike.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Before I rode a street motorcycle, I started on dirt bikes and mopeds as a kid. My first street bike was a Sportster and I've only ridden Sportsters since. You'll be fine. Take the MSF class.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try practicing in an empty parking lot, turns and braking, until you can get into the msf course. Be careful, when practicing ( and otherwise ) using the front brake in low speed turns - that is how a lot of new ( & experienced ) riders go over. You know how to ride, you just need to learn your new bike.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: New rider questions